Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Due to the continued rising cost of fuel (TORCO $6.69) and I have a street strip car I have been thanking of making a change to E85 and I would like to hear some PROS & CONS experiences from those of you that have tried it.

Thanks for the help

Phil

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I had the same idea, but mine runs fine on 87 octane, I just got gas for the nova yesterday and next to the pump was turbo blue for over $6 and was thinking next time i rebuild im using e85, so my opinion on it is to convert it over, e85 is 105 octane but i here you burn it up faster, i would do it for a 1/3 of the price still, i think your hoses have to be replaced too, im sure someone will chime in with a whole set up. Quikfuel has a e85 carb and there are metering plate kits for holleys, I think eddy's too, shoudn't be to painful to change over..

·
Registered
13 Posts
The pros is, if we are talking on a carbed american V8 you usually se a torque increase of 4-7% in the hole rev range without doing anything but jet it up for the extra fuel. That means 4-7 % more usable horsepower over the hole rev range. Also you can run really high comp ratios, i myself have run 13,5:1 on a road race SBC without problems. And you can get away with much higher ratios depending on the dynamic comp ratio and application.

The cons is you need to modify the carb for E85 or buy a E85 carb.
Larger fuel tank , fuel pump, lines. And sometimes its harder to start from cold.

I think E85 is a great fuel and run it on all my cars. And i have never used anything but ordinary quality fuel lines/hose.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys, I am serious about the change right now.

Who makes the best E85 carb ?? I've also heard that the QF conversion kit doesn't hit the mark like an actual built carb does is the fact or fiction

Phil

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
SURGERY????? no need to explain in great detail, but I TRUST all went well?

Interesting read, I have not been on there in a while, but have you asked this question on John Herd's "dragstuff" site?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
SURGERY????? no need to explain in great detail, but I TRUST all went well?
I had a total knee replacement of my left knee 5 weeks ago and today I am going for a ride down to my buddies shop for the 1st. time this year.

Yes its on John's site & so far no takers

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Glad to hear all went well. :yes: Take it slow, no playing hop scotch on the way..... :D

Have I told you latley how SEXY your legs are Phil? :rolleyes:
hey we have the same socks!

Keep in touch!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've been using the stuff for 3 or 4 years now and love it. The only complaint I have is the availibility. It is sold right here in town which is great, but when I go out of town it's a little harder to find. I am running 496, 11.5 comp, roller cam, alum heads, and tunnel ram. Best run so far is a [email protected] I know there is more in it, still trying to work the bugs out of the new motor.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Make sure your fuel system (fuel pump, regulator, lines etc.) is alcohol compatible. Ask my neighbor how he found this out! There are quite a few people here locally who have switched to E85.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Here's some reading material for ya......

http://www.e85forum.com/

I have had Heath Daniels do three carbs for me and highly recommend him!!
He can be reached at raceone85.com or PM me for his ph#

Jim

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tHANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR REPLIES THAT HAVE BEEN VERY HELPFUL

pHIL

PS: jOHN YOU ARE BEGINING TO WORRY ME :) BUT THANKS FOR THE KIND WORDS :D AND YOU ARE TRUELLY A MAN OF CLASS BASED ON THE SOCKS YOU WEAR!!!:yes::yes::yes: LATER BUD

THANKS ALL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts