Chevy Nova Forum banner

121 - 140 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
I would make sure you keep it off of the floor. Water DOES cause the gas and ethanol to separate. In fact it's how you can easily check the ethanol percentage.
Shawn

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
So by adding a known volume of water to a known volume of E85, you can measure the volumes when they separate and calculate the percentage?
Clever! I just learned something new. Thanks for the tip Shawn!

I think E85 has an octane rating of 110?

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Quite a bit of savings over $6.00+ a gallon for race fuel.
What kind of race fuel are you getting for $6.00? I don't think anything is that cheap around here--It's been over a year since I bought any, and it was more than that for 100 unleaded even then.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
why don't ya

What kind of race fuel are you getting for $6.00? I don't think anything is that cheap around here--It's been over a year since I bought any, and it was more than that for 100 unleaded even then.
why don't ya head up to Sacremento and show them your Nova and fully explain to them the need for offshore drilling in Ca to lower racing prices ,,lol

It amazes me why they don't do that ,, all that oil just sitting there

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
You ever see a picture looking off the coast of Huntington Beach, Ca from the '40s or '50's? I really don't have a problem if we try to avoid that. Other options are available today, but Hopefully we do not return to that.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Your right. I checked fuel prices today and 110 is $8.30 a gallon. Shows how much I pay attention to that stuff. Here's the trick to figuring ethanol percentage-
Place exactly 50ml of fuel into a 100ml graduated cylinder, Add 48ml of water and place stopper on cylinder, Shake vigorously 15 seconds (this is important- I even shake upside down thru part of this- NOTE- BE CAREFUL- it will build pressure and could spray out on you) Let sit undisturbed 15 minutes. Now observe the upper meniscus where air meets liquid- lower edge of curve is the measurement line for total volume. Record this- please note that 50 ml of fuel and 48 ml of water will NOT equal 98 ml. Now look for the dividing line between the hydrocarbon on top and the water/ethanol phase below- this is the lower meniscus. Find the bottom side (lowest point) of this curve and record. Calculation; Formula is 2.1 + 1.94(total vol-alcohol/water volume) Let say your total (upper) volume was 95 ml and your lower (water/alco) was 82 ml. Then: 2.1+1.94(95 ml total-82 ml lower)= 2.1+1.94(13)= 2.1 +25.22= 27.32% HYDROCARBON OR 100-27.3=72.68% ALCOHOL
Shawn

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
You ever see a picture looking off the coast of Huntington Beach, Ca from the '40s or '50's? I really don't have a problem if we try to avoid that. Other options are available today, but Hopefully we do not return to that.
Cuba's already drilling less than 50 miles off the coast of Florida!! There's a LOT cleaner ways of drilling these days. Simply put, If we don't get it, someone else is going to come get it literally out from under us!! And then we'll have to PAY FOR IT to get it back.:rolleyes:

I would make sure you keep it off of the floor. Water DOES cause the gas and ethanol to separate. In fact it's how you can easily check the ethanol percentage.
Shawn
Great info Shawn!! There's a LOT of us waiting for E85 to become available down here!! It'll make it a LOT easier to have a 13:1 street car.:devil:

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
There's a LOT of us waiting for E85 to become available down here!
Until Uncle Sam sees how stupid it is to subsidize the farmers growing the corn to make the stuff! Or how much we have to pay for animal feed made from corn or.....If you had to pay the full cost to make E85, that $8.30 a gallon race fuel would look like a bargain.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Until Uncle Sam sees how stupid it is to subsidize the farmers growing the corn to make the stuff! Or how much we have to pay for animal feed made from corn or.....If you had to pay the full cost to make E85, that $8.30 a gallon race fuel would look like a bargain.
yeah corn is the wrong fuel to use. sawgrass/switchblade is much better and it produces far more ethanol per tonnage than corn. also it grows all over the plains without even being plant, is easier to harvest and to manufactuer, plus it won't cause any food based products to go up because nothing uses sawgrass/switchblade other then bison...

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
yeah corn is the wrong fuel to use. sawgrass/switchblade is much better and it produces far more ethanol per tonnage than corn. also it grows all over the plains without even being plant, is easier to harvest and to manufactuer, plus it won't cause any food based products to go up because nothing uses sawgrass/switchblade other then bison...
Dang nabit, tell us how grass off the plains is easier to harvest and get to an ethanol facility than corn. Cattle could eat the grass too, that is their natural diet, not corn.

Click here for my Nova pics

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
This seems to me the only way that ethanol can have any impact. Algae is the fastest growing plant on the planet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyoKTbxerpQ&feature=related

·
Registered
418 Posts
I would think that anyone who is a "car" person would be cheering for E85. As far as I can tell, it is the most internal combustion engine, performance friendly alternative fuel of any being considered. Someone always brings up the corn use debate. If algae technology and other feedstock materials can be developed, why not go for it? Any of the new alternative energy technolgies can and are being nit-picked to death by all the nay-sayers just like they were in the 70s and 80s, and here we are 30 years later still depending on foriegn oil. Will we still be having this debate 30 years from now?
I don't think we have that much time left! :( Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
nothing uses sawgrass/switchblade other then bison...
Screw a bunch of bison...how many of them are left anyway? Feed em the corn instead!
I'd love to use E85, it's cheap, makes a bunch of power, etc......But I live in Calif., you don't find on every corner around here. Of all the alternative fuel ideas around, it doesn't seem to be the best choice to me. Not as bad as some like hydrogen, which was W's fave, is most easily made from.......gas!

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
So by adding a known volume of water to a known volume of E85, you can measure the volumes when they separate and calculate the percentage?
Clever! I just learned something new. Thanks for the tip Shawn!

I think E85 has an octane rating of 110?

E85 is 105-106 octane, it may vary pump to pump but the minimum is 105..

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Hello,

We have a lot of places around here that sell E85.

There a few guys that are using it for some performance uses with pretty good luck.

There several new plants that were built in the last couple of years specifically for ethanol production (from corn) for E85, there is considerable talk of them possibly closing because of the lower cost of gasoline lately.

There are several drawbacks to the production of ethanol from corn, depending on who you listen to, the higher cost of food being the main one. I really dont have an opinion on it but Im afraid it will dry up so to speak. I hope not.

I guess time will tell.

Good luck

Jeff

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have been itching to try E85 on my nova project. There is a station right near my work in Santa Monica, so i have easy access to. My only concern is the learning curve of using n2o with the E85. Dont wanna blow anything up :no:

I think the Algae farming thing is a GREAT idea!! If it ever made it to the ballot i would deff. vote for it. Who knows we might be able to get 116 octane out of it :D and be able to buy it for less than $4/gl.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Can E-85 be ran in a non emissions carborated engine by just going to larger jets? We use this stuff where I work in our newer vehicles and it seems to work really good. I know it is 105 octane rating and was wondering how it would perform performance wise?

Jeremy
A carb has several circuits. Jets only affect one circuit. There are passages that must be opened up.

A good thing to have is O2 wideband monitor.
Idle fuel needs to fattened up too.
You may be better of to talk with asomeone who sells and stands behind thier conversions.
I like Mark Sullens.

121 - 140 of 140 Posts