Chevy Nova Forum banner

101 - 120 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
For the basic information go here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85

This says that it is indeed 100-105 octane. From my gatherings though, this would not induce extra horsepower unless you upped the compression to take advantage of the octane. Just my two cents though, I definetly don't know everything.

And as for it not making sense because we are burning food, that is correct. But if E85 actually becomes popular, then companies will start making it out of lots of waste products, therefore reducing the need for corn to make it. I was also watching a program on the public television channel here in KY. They had the 2 brothers from Car Talk (a show on NPR) that were interviewing some scientists about something they were trying to do. The shortened version was they were engineering bacteria that could turn what they called "cellulosic biomass" into ethanol. The "cellulosic biomass" was about any plant matter, they used the wasted cornstalks and cobs as an example. They also said however that this technology was not here, but they thought they could produce this in a few years.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
I recently heard that there is a man in Georgia that is making ethanol out of seaweed. He produces something like 4000 times the ethanol per acre than corn. I think the technology needs to develop more but I think it will get there. As far as burning our food I think this is a load of B. S. I am from iowa so I have seen some corn in my day. Corn has been overproduced for years. Corn prices were plummeting so the gov. stepped in and started subsidising corn. Corn was so cheap they started to use high fructose corn syrup in substitute for sugar. I have an E-85 pump in nearly every town around me so I am considering the switch.

·
Registered
771 Posts
What would I have to change in my fuel system to run E-85? Also what pumps actually carry it?

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Ive been on board with E85 since the beginning. But I cant get it here yet.

There have been lots and lots of people poo pooing it for a long ime also...

Read this http://www.corvetteracing.com/history/2008releases/general/racing1.shtml

Also the burning our food thing is stupid. Ethanol can be made from Grass and it yeilds more per acrer than corn because it doesnt stop growing... corn can only be harvested once a year.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have been running e85 for 2 years now and I love it. My car is like fossilrunners, it has a fuel cell, alcohol friendly pump and filter and an lines and fittings. But my carb is an off the shelf 750 dp with the bigger needle and seats, no power valve, 90 jets, and 55 squirters. The car runs 2tenths faster with the e85 in it. The part that stinks is I miss the smell of racing gas. I also heard it's corrosive but I have a friend that ran it in his car with stock tank and lines all summer and hasn't had any problems yet.
Just curious what dose E85 smell like?

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
At $4 a gallon plus now for 87 octane I dont see the cost effective argument anymore...lol

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
They've started running 90/10 ALL THE TIME here in Oregon with a resulting drop in fuel economy.

Why doesn't this require the same retuning and change-outs that 85/15 does?

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
The 90/10 is 90% gasoline 10% ethanol and the E-85 is 15% gasoline and 85% ethanol.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
They've started running 90/10 ALL THE TIME here in Oregon with a resulting drop in fuel economy.

Why doesn't this require the same retuning and change-outs that 85/15 does?
that would be in flex fuel vehicles. The computer in the car is able to adjust the Air Fuel ratio so the car will run on both regular gas and e85 or 90/10 or any variation of these. You can not do this with a non computer based car and I assume its not your regular computer either as it has to be able to recognize the fuel your running and adjust the A/F ratio as reguired. Normally you would have to pick a fuel and set the car up for that.

BTW the more alcohol you have in the fuel the lower your fuel economy will be. Its just the nature of the beast. The air fuel ratio is much lower for a vehicle running alcohol and that translates to greater fuel consumption.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi, i work in an ethanol plant in OZ that runs some of their company cars on E85. I also have run my high comp big block on a gasoline/ethanol blend with no drama,s. Like methanol, ethanol is an alcohol fuel so it will absorb moisture ect from tank so filter blockages are common on older cars. Also mileage will suffer as you need to use more fuel to achieve the same distance, upto 1 & half times for straight ethanol! But you are rite about engine detination, around 108 octane so you can run a bit more timing. Cold starts are a drama to due to the alcohol. But with a bit of trial and error i think its a viable alternative. As suggested look for leaks in pump, carb ect due again to the corrosive nature of alcohol. Stochiomtric air/fuel ratio for gasoline is 14.6:1 where ethanol is 9.0:1 (100%). Hope this give you a rough guide, cheers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
question about e85

ist e85 similar to moonshine it made almost the same way and i know bootlegers during prohibition was running there cars on moonshine i was just wondering cause from everything i have heard about e85 it sounds very similar to me

they are both made from corn

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
E-85 is 85% grain alcohol and 15% gas. Pretty much all of the grain alcohol is made from corn right now. I am not sure what type of grain moonshine is made with.

·
Registered
274 Posts
E85 Dyno test

Hi,
with the growing cost of racing, and growing cost of everything for that matter, finding ways to go racing more economically is something that is at the front of everyones mind. I have a few dirt modified customers that go through pretty obscene amounts of fuel over the course of a weekend. For some reason the price of Methanol went up with the cost of all fuels, so we decided to do some testing using E85. Out here, it's about $1.50 a gallon and you can roll up to the local pump and get it. Quite a bit of savings over $6.00+ a gallon for race fuel.
Our test mule was a fairly tame 406" small block chevy. It had out of the box cast iron heads, a flat top piston and a small roller cam. The gas carb was one of our "good" dyno carbs. The E85 carb was a 750HP that i had modified to run on the E85. End results were the E85 was up about 5hp and 15tq. This engine was about 11-1 compression and the power was around 550hp. When we tested the fuel actual ethanol content was about 75%, so it would be something that you would need to watch. Overall i think it's a valid option for engines in that cylinder psi level and makes going racing just a little easier.
shawn

101 - 120 of 140 Posts