Chevy Nova Forum banner

81 - 100 of 140 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
make sure you change your fuel filter after that tank. the E85 will loosen all the varnish and crap in your tank and send it down the line. also keep an eye on your carb and fuel line for leaks, the E85 will eat the older stuff. i use an octane booster called turbo 108. 2 bottles with a tank of 93 and my last BB that was 12.7-1 never had a problem on the street or strip. some dont like octane boosters and a lot of them on the shelf at wally world are bunk but ive had great luck with this one. JMHO

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
I have been studying this subject for a while. As far a availability goes it will be growing drastically. The company my brother works for is currenty building 10 or more 1 million gallon per year distilleries just in iowa. I have also heard a great deal about cellulose production (don't know a whole lot about it) but an ethanol plant near me is in the process of converting. From what I have heard the cellulose plant will be making alchohol from grass and all other sorts of plants. I hope to do a conversion soon on my nova after a little more research. In iowa there is an e85 pump in almost every town.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
E85

I know this has been discussed before but I can't find what I am looking for in other posts so I will start a new one.
I am looking into runnig E85 in my nova and am looking for anyone that is currently running it.
First question: Can I run it in a stock tank? If not has anyone used a tank liner that is safe with E85. I want to keep the stock tank location.
Second can it be run in a steel fuel line. I know the rubber hoses will need to be replaced with teflon but will the steel line work?
Has anyone done the carb conversion themselves? I know rejetting will need to be done but what else? I have researched this quite extensively and am getting mixed answers on the subject from different places so I thought I would see if there is anyone actually running it to see there results.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Anybody else running E85?

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevy II nova Hardtop
3,894 Posts
Don't know where Lake Park is but Iowa is huge in circle track racing and alcohol is the fuel of choice. Find a local race shop and take a look at what changes they have had to make. Make certain you explain you reasons, racers don't like others pokin around.:D:D

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Most of the racers are running methanol which takes a lot different setup than e-85.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Hey my new motor will be running on e85 here in the next 2 weeks. I have a cell in the back with 8an line and 1/2" aluminum hardline under the car. Its not quite as corrosive as alcohol but it is more corrosive then gasoline so watch your parts.It also acts as a cleaner so make sure your tank isnt full of rust otherwise it will all come out and clog up you fuel system. Im running a holley hp 750 alchohol carb with 90/96 jets. You also need to run a colder plug. im running r5671a9 NGK plugs in mine(but I also run nitrous to). Im not totally for sure if timing is the same as gasoline but im pretty sure. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. also you can check out e85forum.com

·
Registered
930 Posts
o and heres some more infor on my carb set up

Needle and seat size = .130
squirter size =.031
idle air bleed = .065
high speed air bleed size= .031

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevy II nova Hardtop
3,894 Posts
Most of the racers are running methanol which takes a lot different setup than e-85.
Actually from a tuners perspective it does not. Timing, jets, these will have to be played with just as with methanol and no one will be able to say unequivocally which settings will work best without trial and error. The benefit of racers is they can identify all areas of corrosion your project will encounter.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have been running e85 for 2 years now and I love it. My car is like fossilrunners, it has a fuel cell, alcohol friendly pump and filter and an lines and fittings. But my carb is an off the shelf 750 dp with the bigger needle and seats, no power valve, 90 jets, and 55 squirters. The car runs 2tenths faster with the e85 in it. The part that stinks is I miss the smell of racing gas. I also heard it's corrosive but I have a friend that ran it in his car with stock tank and lines all summer and hasn't had any problems yet.

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
E85 and performance engines

My brother was telling me he has heard of guys building their engines to run on E85 gas and getting decent performance out of the fuel. I have also heard that the E85 is 114 octane. At $285 a gallon that looks to be a viable option. What are your guys thoughts?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I heard it is 105 octane and the carb will have to be jetted richer to run e85. I have not tried this myself but am waiting to hear from someone that has.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
E85 / Ethanol

I have a customer that wants to do a E85 or Ethanol engine for a up coming project, kinda looking forward to start the build. I think with both types of fuel one main concern is that around here (WI) its not available at every pump. As far as the engine, having a good fuel system and a knowledgeable individual that is capable of tuning it is key. I had good luck with a E85 carb form AED on the last one I did. Personally I think in the furture we are going to see more hotrods being built with these types of engines. Not 100% sure on the octane, but I do know that if built properly you can make good horse. My cents.

·
Registered
140 Posts
For the most part, E85 has a high octane rating (about 105). "Most" that is, because commercially available E85 at the pump will be a different mixture of Ethanol and gas during summer/winter time to avoid hard starting issues in the winter. Tried it myself on my daily commuter (Saab 9-5). The ECU can handle pure E85, pure gasoline, or any mixture of both - kinda intelligent car! It definetely had some hard starting and rough running issues during winter (40 degrees F), so I only use it in the summertime. It runs very well then, having a plus of about 25% torque (well, it's an intercooled turbo car...), but uses some 30% E85 more mpg-wise compared to gasoline. Performance has to come from somewhere...

For carbureted cars, we build quite some race engines dedicated to use E85 only (outside temperatue doesn't matter for racing - it'summer!), and at 13,5 to 14:1 CR they run really strong. We dynoed a 620ci big block with 928 HP naturally aspirated on E85.
Concerning the carb: it's not only the main jets - you have to change the whole system (metering blocks!), otherwiese the engine will run very poorly. Or best: have a carb custom made for use on E85.
Use pumps and regulators that can handle alcohol, use steel fuel lines, and a strong ignition - and it will just run!
Since E85 is hydroscopic and will do evil if left alone like this we tend to flood the fuel system with race gas after the event for storage till the next race.

In all: pretty neat stuff for racing, that E85. For my daily, it does not make too much sense, really, because the higher amount of E85 I need leads me to use the higher priced gasoline for nearly the same money with less hassle price is about 1 Euro/Liter E85 compared to 1,35 Euro/Liter for the gas over here in Germany).

Greetz

Boris

·
Registered
77 Posts
E-85

Yesterday i filled up my 07 Chevy truck for the first time with this fuel. the pump said 100 octane 75% corn 25% gas. As soon as i pulled onto the highway i noticed a big performance increase. Totally Awesome. it is a 1.00 cheaper than 87 octane. i was told that i will get 2-3 miles less a gallon. But since it is much cheaper i will still be better off. they are adding this fuel at a lot of gas stations here in Ind. :yes:

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
some gas stations around here are eliminating premium and putting in E85 :mad: WTF are people supposed to do that need premium? E85 I predict to be a short lived fad.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Yesterday i filled up my 07 Chevy truck for the first time with this fuel. the pump said 100 octane 75% corn 25% gas. As soon as i pulled onto the highway i noticed a big performance increase. Totally Awesome. it is a 1.00 cheaper than 87 octane. i was told that i will get 2-3 miles less a gallon. But since it is much cheaper i will still be better off. they are adding this fuel at a lot of gas stations here in Ind. :yes:
Please report back on the milage after you run this tank. I think you will find it to be about 22%-25% less miles per gallon than you had been getting on 87octane instead of 2-3 mpg less.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
E85 is no fad. It will be as common as no lead is now. Soon ethanol will be made from just about any waste imaginable not just corn as it is now. General motors has invested heavily in firms working on cellulose ethanol production which converts just about any plant and waste to ethanol. Burns much cleaner than gasoline also. You can build compression back into your engines again because of the higher octane. This is one of the better things to come out of fabricated high oil prices. I am currently building the big block for my Nova to run E85 and really would not consider building it any other way.

81 - 100 of 140 Posts