Chevy Nova Forum banner

41 - 60 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
this sounds awesome to me as I can see no change in sight in prices so if it saves me some money for stilll getting high octane I am all for it...althoughthe closet station is about 10 mins away, but i assume there will be closer ones soon, i do live in Michiigan so theres gotta be. So waht I am wondering is, if i set it up for E85, do I always have to use E85 of can i say fill up nomal 110 on monday then E85 when im down that way on the weekend?? Will this cause any damage?

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
thats is the part I'm trying to learn myself and the purpose of the thread. My understanding is that you will need to increase your jet size by 20-30% and remove all rubber from the fuel system and replace it with alcohol resistent parts. The increase in jet size will make running gas a bit of a problem cause you would be running super rich if you say set the car up for e85 and then one day put 110 in it...I suspect, depending on how much e85 was in the tank when you put the 110 in you would be running as I said really rich...but other then that I dont "think" there would be a problem....possibly some of the others on here might give an opinion on that too...

Now I'm not as close to the nearest station as you are but they are trying to open up as many stations as they can in the next few years so I am hoping that by the time the car is running again one will be closer...BUT even if its not...I might just buy the stuff in large quanities...

the stuff seems win/win to me:cool: :)

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
I guess a person could add a quick change jet kit to the carb so the jets can be changed without removing the bowl. Then if you were going to run gas you could quickly drop down the jet size and go for it....then swap back to the larger jets when you run e85....or there is the holley "adjust-a-jet" kit (ranging from jet size #63-#140) that allows you to adjust the jet size while the motor is running....quite a bit more money then the quick change jet kit but it might be an option too.....just a thought...not sure if that would totaly work or not

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ok so, to get this straight, theses are the things need for E85 conversion:

-New lines
-fuel filter
-fuel pump
-jets...

is that all or did I miss something??

-Billy

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
chevy65supernova said:
Ok so, to get this straight, theses are the things need for E85 conversion:

-New lines
-fuel filter
-fuel pump
-jets...

is that all or did I miss something??

-Billy

I dont want to steer you wrong as i'm just learning this stuff myself BUT I "think" that is all that is required BUT I would do some more research if I were you...here is a link to a guy that switched to e85 with a non flex fuel 2001 explorer...possibly it might shed some light for ya. BTW as far as I know the carb would have to be completly rebuilt too so that any parts/gaskets in the carb are e85/alcohol friendly....

http://e85vehicles.com/converting-e85.htm

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ok thanks for the info. If anyone else wants to chime in with info itll be great. I want to do this so i will keep everyone informed. Maybe keep this a sticky so we can all add new info as time goes on as i assume that this may be a big subject in the near future with the way things are today!

·
Registered
92 Posts
heres a quick article I found: it is possible!:

"I’ve heard that it can’t be done for the old cars, but I myself have proven that theory wrong, back in the 1980’s I ran alcohol in my 1969 Z/28 Camaro, and in a 1972 GMC truck, yes I did have to make some mods to run it, such as the jetting on the carburetor had to be leaned out a bit, any rubber parts need to be replaced with urethane, or something that the alcohol won’t eat, at that time I had to have the parts built for the carburetor, and you need to run aircraft quality fuel lines, or change all your fuel lines to steel ones.

Nothing is impossible, that is the point that I’m trying to make here, it’s not a simple one afternoon ordeal to do this job, it will take some planning, call up Jegs, and tell them that you’d like to covert your car to E85, I’ll bet they can help you with the parts that you need, they have a very knowledgeable tech staff working for them, and their always glad to answer questions about their products.

E85 is a great idea, and it’s a good way to keep driving your old car, and still not worry about the environment, it will bring down your cars emissions greatly, it’s an all around cleaner burning better running fuel for any car, it just needs to be made more available to the public, and I think that will be coming soon, with the way that gas prices are going, you can buy a carburetor these days that’s set up for alcohol, it makes the whole job a lot easier."

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
69NovaSS said:
how does that compare to your regular gas(87 stuff)? I know here in GA right now that is lower then 87 is costing to buy:)
87 is $2.84/gal.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
DriveWFO said:
87 is $2.84/gal.

I havent looked in a few days but that would be pretty much ball park for what were paying here for 87 too....man that e85 really is a bargin..:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Im in GA also, downtown in fact which was the only place even near here that even sells E-85 according to the map from the E-85 website. it is $3.00 for 87 octane intown so depending on how much the ethonal is it will be a bargain. Dont know anything about the flex cars that automakers are using maybe they could help clear up what the do to run both(probably expensive).

A great idea for u to run the e-85 if your building such a HIGH CR machine. For buying it in quanities, does it have to be a special container? I have been kicking around the idea of finding a wrecked flex fuel tahoe to use for a kit car motor and tranny to experiment with horsepower gains on flex fuel vehicles. I will be keeping an eye on this thread for sure ..

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
mark slocumb said:
Im in GA also, downtown in fact which was the only place even near here that even sells E-85 according to the map from the E-85 website. it is $3.00 for 87 octane intown so depending on how much the ethonal is it will be a bargain. Dont know anything about the flex cars that automakers are using maybe they could help clear up what the do to run both(probably expensive).
I'm not sure about the container...I know stuff like racing fuel can be bought by the drum so possibly that is an option for this fuel too...I dunno. (though I am a little concerned about storing an alcohol based fuel for very long due to water absorption issues)

As far as the new flex fuel vehicles go with fuel injections and computer controls they can easily switch between the different fuels no problem and the computer takes care of the air fuel mixture so its all automatic. I dont believe there is anyway for it to be automatic with a carburated car when you swith from gas to e85 and back again.

mark slocumb said:
A great idea for u to run the e-85 if your building such a HIGH CR machine. For buying it in quanities, does it have to be a special container? I have been kicking around the idea of finding a wrecked flex fuel tahoe to use for a kit car motor and tranny to experiment with horsepower gains on flex fuel vehicles. I will be keeping an eye on this thread for sure ..
Well to me compression is free HP. For every point in CR you go up you can gain roughly 25-30HP. That is free power. If I can find a fuel that will run it for really no more money then 87 regular then it really is a win/win for me.;) :)

At least that is my thought on this

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
chevy65supernova said:
I wonder, b/c i have a 16 gallon plastic fuel cell...would the E 85 cause any problems with that?
I would contact your fuel cell maker and ask:)

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
69NovaSS said:
Well to me compression is free HP. For every point in CR you go up you can gain roughly 25-30HP. That is free power. If I can find a fuel that will run it for really no more money then 87 regular then it really is a win/win for me.;) :)

At least that is my thought on this
Have you considered that this new fuel may not have the same power potential as traditional fuels?? It's possible that your HP to $$$ ratio may not be any different, and possibly less, with the new fuel.

If you're just looking for raw $$$ savings, it may be a worthwhile pursuit though. Just a thought. :)

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
NovatoriusWrecks said:
Have you considered that this new fuel may not have the same power potential as traditional fuels?? It's possible that your HP to $$$ ratio may not be any different, and possibly less, with the new fuel.

If you're just looking for raw $$$ savings, it may be a worthwhile pursuit though. Just a thought. :)

not a chance...alcohol is alcohol....talk to the alcohol funny cars\sprint cars\F1 cars\Monster trucks\etc and see if they make more power on alcohol or gas:rolleyes: :D

but seriously I will agree that alcohol does contain lower BTU's then the same amount of gas would contain but my understanding is that is more then made up for by the change in A/F ratio you must do to change over to this fuel. PLUS there is the high octane levels it contains too. There are many racing vehicles running alky. If it was a poor fuel I would suspect they would have went to something else by now;) BUT alky in itself wont make more power for you....just like running race gas in a car designed for regular gas wont cause the car to make more HP either. You have to build the motor to take advantage of the properties that alky has which allow you to make more power. HIGH Octane;) Build the motor to need the octane (due to compression) and your going to make more power....Also the cooling effects of the alky will help deter detination too.....squeeze it hard and the power will be there.....Ya Baby:cool:

I personally dont see a down side other then it not being widely avalable YET......BUT for most of us thats not a big deal cause very few of us will ever do a huge trip away from home with our Novas anyway;)

BUT as always this is just my opinion...take it FWIW:)

Also one last thought to me it really just comes down to this...why pay 4.00, 5.00, 6.00, or??? per gallon for the various race fuels when I can buy e85 for under 3 bucks a gallon and it has more then enough octane for my needs...its just shear economics..the less I pay for fuel...the more I can drive the car...and to me driving the car is always way better then just looking at it in the garage;):)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I feel the same as you 65NovaSS..especially for being being college kid im already broke so if i can save a buck maybe itll let me drive it more often...but like u said the only downfall I see the availabiliity, but I assume there will only be more out there soon, plus the more of us using it the more demand for the stations. Also lets say we go on a long trip, why not fill up a five fallon container and put it in your trunk? Although thats prolly made out of same plastic as the fuel cell so I will have to check.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Duane,I was thinking ahead for you. Since you are considering a Alcohol type Fuel,wouldnt that be more reason to lean toward a Short Path Intake?Like your Victor?

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Joe said:
Duane,I was thinking ahead for you.I am posting this for you to consider,not for the College Race professors to ask me to explain.Since you are considering a Alcohol type Fuel,wouldnt that be more reason to lean toward a Short Path Intake?Like your Victor?

I think I have decided, due to my potential cam choice, that the Victor just plain makes sense to me. It should work very well. Joe, your input is always appreciated.;) :)

41 - 60 of 140 Posts