Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can E-85 be ran in a non emissions carborated engine by just going to larger jets? We use this stuff where I work in our newer vehicles and it seems to work really good. I know it is 105 octane rating and was wondering how it would perform performance wise?

Jeremy

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hi there,
Well I have done some research regarding using ethanol in street driven V8 cars. First I can tell that there is not easy finding good info on this subject, but I think Ive found a few things worth mentioning.

I live in Sweden, and the ethanol thing seems to growing stronger here. We have many pumps where you can buy a fuel called "E85" which contains around 85 percent ethanol and 15 percent unleaded gas. I know many people whose tried it in older cars with different results. First, if using pure E85 the engine will need more fuel, count on that it will eat about 25-35 percent more than if running with gasoline. You will have to change for bigger jets (if carburated) or tune your injection. Ive heard complaints about corrosion in fuel thanks and on fuel lines. If you have a bad hose it will cause a leak very fast. Make sure you dont have any rubber or plastic seats in the carb coz the alcohol will act like a solvent and destroy such things.

My friend did try running his hot rodded Olds 455 with Eddy alu heads 280 magnum cam and everything. He told me that the car ran pretty good, but did not get enough fuel, he never changed jets before switched back to regular fuel though.

The thing is that you can run more static CR and more advanced timing with alcohol without getting detonations. Ive also read some tests done with todays european cars where they get as much as 20-30 hp more out of the engines by only switching to alcohol from gasoline. Of course the mapped the injections so the engine get the right fuel ratio, but thats all they did.

Another negative side effect is that an alcohol feeded engine will become hard to start if the outdoor temperature is going down. Anyway, I guess this wont be an issue if ya live in hot regions of the country.

If you think its worth a try, start by mixing smaller amounts of ethanol with the gas, lets say for example first 10% drive a testrun, then try 20-30% Be careful then, and note if your engine runs lean!!!

By the way, all our swedish fuel contains around 5% ethanol, so small amounts of it wouldnt hurt a thing! And its a good cleaner on carbon deposits =)

I hope this will be to any help.

Matt

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Greetings,

Living in Illinois, all the gas stations have gas with at least 10% Ethanol in it. I've never ran the E-85 in anything, but the gas with the 10% Ethanol doesn't do any damage whatsoever.

Jason

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Greetings,

Living in Illinois, all the gas stations have gas with at least 10% Ethanol in it. I've never ran the E-85 in anything, but the gas with the 10% Ethanol doesn't do any damage whatsoever.

Jason

·
Registered
79 Posts
E-85 engine conversion (merged thread)

I have been thinking of using E-85 as my main fuel for the 427 in my II. I realize that i would need to be carefull selecting my tank and lines as the gas is slightly corrosive. I like the fact that it is like 105 octane and is cheaper than 87 but has a low availabilty. If you had acess to this gas, how would you build a 427 to optimize it? I was looking at using a set of 11.5:1 pistons with a set of Brodix BB2 plus heads with 312 cc intake port, then maybe something like a ZL-1 cam or Cranes L-88 cam. Or something like that.
How would you build it for the gas? Any suggestions?
Thanks
Jeramie:)

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
I think the possibilities for this stuff could be real interesting. I have heard of some motors under construction with blowers and they are not there for looks. These guys plan on making big power, well in excess of 1000 hp. Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
I run methanol in my race car and had the opportunity to try ethanol. I'm friends with Mark Thomas the alky funny guy and he gave me a drum to try. That was about 6 years ago and I still have half the drum. I just about got the car to run just as fast with the ethanol, but I had to lean the engine out to do it. When pouring it into the jugs, it looked like syrup compared to methanol. I know that sounds funny, but that's what it looked like to me. If you want to run it, you really don't have to do anything different to the engine. It does like compression, so you could run 12-1 if you's like with no problems. I guess for the street it would be different. You'd also have to get an alky carb in order to run it. When my Nova is finished and I get my 327 complete, it will have 12.5-1 and an alky carb for the street/strip. I'll run alky though. Dave

·
Registered
210 Posts
E-85

Could you run E-85 through a carbureted engine? What would you have to do to run it in something like, for example, a 350 from the 70s?

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
you need ethanol safe seals, gaskets abd hoses. Also you need to jet the heck out of it.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
The biggest problem I see would be if you modified it to run on E-85, unlike FI cars with dual calibrations it couldn't run gasoline without rejetting.
What would you do if you couldn't find E85 on a trip?
E85 won't get better mileage. I haven't seen if it might cost less.

You know that corn based fuels are not going to reduce our dependancy on foreign oil. The reason is the Cornfields are no longer small farms combined with animals that provide free organic fertilizer. They use commercial, chemical fertilizer that uses up alot of energy to manufacture. Corn sells for less than it costs to grow. We pay for that in subsidies with our taxes.
We can't possibly grow enough corn to replace oil. The energy density per acre needed vs shrinking farm land available doesn't compute. It's a short term solution that will benefit corn growers by boosting corn prices.

E85 is a diversion from the real problem. As long as we still have millions of 1 person commuters in 12 mpg SUV's and pickups we'll have a problem.

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
Paul Wright said:
The biggest problem I see would be if you modified it to run on E-85, unlike FI cars with dual calibrations it couldn't run gasoline without rejetting.
What would you do if you couldn't find E85 on a trip?
E85 won't get better mileage. I haven't seen if it might cost less.

You know that corn based fuels are not going to reduce our dependancy on foreign oil. The reason is the Cornfields are no longer small farms combined with animals that provide free organic fertilizer. They use commercial, chemical fertilizer that uses up alot of energy to manufacture. Corn sells for less than it costs to grow. We pay for that in subsidies with our taxes.
We can't possibly grow enough corn to replace oil. The energy density per acre needed vs shrinking farm land available doesn't compute. It's a short term solution that will benefit corn growers by boosting corn prices.

E85 is a diversion from the real problem. As long as we still have millions of 1 person commuters in 12 mpg SUV's and pickups we'll have a problem.
once again, all E-85 is made up of is 15% gasoline and 85% moonshine. ethenol in its pure form is alsohol and they add some gasoline to it and bam you have E-85. if you set up your engine to run on alcohol it "should" run on E-85 with some tweaking of the system. in making corn fuel it takes little energy, they burn garbage that has been packed into pallet shapes and the btu's it puts out is incredible. right now E-85 is between 50 and 80 cents per gallon lower then gasoline. corn gas wont let us be free from crude oil, but between ethenol and our own crude that the U.S. controls that would make us free from the arabs!!

for your fertilizer coment, farming is a computer controled GPS business now. i can tell down to the square foot what my field is producing. so when it comes time to fertilize you dont do the entire firld you "spot" it on where the yield is lower. also remember, today its noting to avg. 200-225 bushels an acre. some have hit the 250 mark. so as technology moves forward so will producing more corn on the same number of acres. just 10yrs ago if you got 150 bushels per acre you were doing great. so it is VERY possible to beco,e free of forgin oil, IF the government really wanted to.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Well around here E85 is only 10 cents a gallon cheaper, plus your mpg will be less so what's the point in using it.

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
Since E85 is alcohol wont the cylinder walls rust from lac of lubrication if the car is not properly set up for it. Along with alot of the alcohol getting by the piston ring and fouling up the oil like it does in the alcohol cars on the strip??

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
A friend of mine is a farmer. He had receipts for corn his dad had sold in the 50"s and the receipts for the corn he had just sold (late 80"). The price per bushel was the same, the difference was Jeff was/is getting 100-125 bushels per acre not 40 like his dad did. That is on crappy clay dirt in Southern Illinios.

The way to solve our energy crisis is the use of natural energy, solar, wind, and tides.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I seriously doubt that even with the productivity improvements in agriculture the business is profitable for small farmers. How much is a bushel of corn going for? How much does it cost to produce?

We drive 365 days a year.
Corn only grows in the summer and you only get product once a year. I'm not sure how many bushels of corn it takes to make a gallon of ethanol but I am 100% sure we can't possibly grow enough corn to make billions of gallons of ethanol and satisify our corn sweetener and animal feed needs, much less all the exporting to other nations.

Iowa isn't big enough and there are too many Walmarts and subdivisions being built. Not enough fresh water to sustain a major increase in growing. Already the fertilizer run off into the Mississippi is so bad there are dead zones and no drinking days in the spring. I agree that ethanol will help the farmers (actually big companies like ADM) but I don't think it will help the country in the long run.

The governor in Michigan (Jennifer Granholm) has worked a deal with the Michigan Meijers stores to have E85 pumps so it's going to happen.
We'll see how successful it is. If the gas mileage on your E85 Suburban is less and the fuel isn't much cheaper then it might just fizzle out.

I'm all for alternative energy sources it just has to make sense. It's like thinking everybody can just run their diesel on french fry oil from McDonalds.

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
yep thats correct, corn ONLY grows in iowa!! and there are additives and gasoline in the E-85 so its not exactly the same as running strait alcohol..

·
Registered
95 Posts
Personally I think farmers can grow enough, but then the price of gas will come down to run all the ethanol plants out of buisness, and well be relying on arabs again.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Nova_Guy said:
The way to solve our energy crisis is the use of natural energy, solar, wind, and tides.
Do you have any idea how much land it takes to produce 1 Mega Watt of power using solar cells or how many Watts a windmill will produce (as long as the wind keeps blowing)? Also the toxic waste produced by the battery banks windmills and solar fields require? Nuclear enegy produces less waste and one nuclear unit produces 800 to 1200 Mega Watts. Then we step into maintenance costs of that one Nuclear power plant compared to the 2000 wind mills it would take to equal the same output. Then we can step into the cost of coal powered plants, they are cheap comparitively speaking. Most get anywhere from 300 to 600 Mega Watts. Coal is a natural resource found abundantly in the US. Actually their is a coal mine north east of Harrisburg, PA that is burning under ground. It burns in the neighborhood of 100,000 metric tons of coal a day. Nobody is willing to put the money into it to put that fire out, but environmentalists still target the coal burning power plants as big polluters of our air! If we stopped producing power with coal with the current technology level today we would have to put in 200 to 300 Nuclear power plants and your electric bill would triple overnight. If we tried this without putting in nuclear units and making up the difference with wind, solar, and tidal power production your electric bill would be 10 times higher. The cost to maintain small machines like these are absurd compared to what they would actually make tied to the grid. If you put one on your house you may be happy for the first 5 years but when your first major inspection came along you would be tying back onto the grid in a heart beat.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
E-85 engine conversion (merged thread)

Hi guys,

Has anyone here ever played around with E-85 fuel, with a carburated engine? Im thinking of using some of this, just to learn about it, but right now I dont have a clue.

I know it will take extensive mods, but Im ok with some putting some time into it. I just need info to start out with.

Thanks
Jeff

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I merged all the E-85 posts into one thread. Any tips or discussion on E-85 coinversions go here.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts