Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys trying to diagnose why the e-fan in my wagon is not turning on. Im unsure if this unit is even hooked properly. Anyone know what this silver assembly with one black wire hooked up to it is? I got this wagon on trade and trying to go through it. Any and all input or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thnx guys

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
hi the silver box looks to be a horn relay. The black wire where does the other end hook to? the black box looks like maybe the relay for fan. start at square 1 where are the wires to your fan hooked up to?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi the silver box looks to be a horn relay. The black wire where does the other end hook to? the black box looks like maybe the relay for fan. start at square 1 where are the wires to your fan hooked up to?
Looks like theres the two black wires coming from the fan, one is connected to the harness, that was crimped into a pink(Ignition wire) that is hooked up to a 30amp fuse. One fan wire is just by itself, as shown in the attached picture. Im guessing this lone black wire needs to connect to a 12v power source correct?

Attachments

·
6,266 Posts
You might be able to diagnose things but maybe think about just getting a new electric fan wiring kit.

The things on the car could be good, bad, on the verge of failing, or who knows what.

You can get a basic electric fan wiring kit to where it allows the fans to work when the key is in the run position or you can get kits with thermostats to where the fans turn on with the ignition but only when the sensor temperature is above either a predetermined level or an adjustable level.

The biggest thing is whatever wiring you do or find on the car, make sure it's safe and properly protected.

Jim

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might be able to diagnose things but maybe think about just getting a new electric fan wiring kit.

The things on the car could be good, bad, on the verge of failing, or who knows what.

You can get a basic electric fan wiring kit to where it allows the fans to work when the key is in the run position or you can get kits with thermostats to where the fans turn on with the ignition but only when the sensor temperature is above either a predetermined level or an adjustable level.

The biggest thing is whatever wiring you do or find on the car, make sure it's safe and properly protected.

Jim
Yeah, Im seriously considering a new harness, now that you mentioned it.:yes::yes:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hi Guys

I am sure if you put a search in google you will find many schematic wiring diagrams for what you need, be Shure to use a relay and thermostatic controller in your fan harness.
cheers Ian

·
Registered
367 Posts
Agree with Eric...have you tested the fans to make sure that they even work when power and ground are put to them directly? When I installed mine, I set them up to a toggle switch on the dash, rather than letting them to be thermostatically controlled or on all the time. I ran the ground to the switch and use that to ground the circuit when I need them on. I still have the option to connect to a thermostat/temperature controlled automatic switch as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts