Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sold another item on e-Bay; the buyer paid through Pay Pay the instant the action ended. He used 1lbs for the weight and added insurance. It cost him 5.95. I went to the post office today it cost 12.01 for shipping and 1.35 for insurance. I guess he figured a 1962 radio only weighed 1lbs. What a bargain on his part.
This is what I found on the eBay help section.
Weight of the package
eBay recommends using a standard shipping scale to weigh your item. Be sure to include the weight of the box and other packaging materials, as well. The closer you get to the exact weight of the package, the more accurate the rates will be. If you’re unsure, it is better to overestimate the weight

If you use the "calculate shipping" option be sure to add the weight of the package.

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
Don't you put the weight in when you create your listings? I put in the dimensions and weight so the bidders can click a button and get their shipping quote to their zip code. And shipping is then figured automatically at the end of the auction by ebay.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had never used the option before. I didn't think about that when I added the option. But I would have guessed that a radio built in 62 would weigh more than an I-pod.

·
Super Moderator
7,177 Posts
I purchased a digital parcel scale from Staples that will accurately weigh a package up to 60 lbs. I have loads of different sized packages and boxes that I store, so that I can pack my items intended for sale and weigh and size them so that I will know exactly how much it's going to cost for postage. This way, when you list your items, and have the "calculate postage" option on your auction, there are no surprises when the auction ends.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
I just add "Buyer pays shipping" and state that they will only pay what it costs (a lot of people try to make money off the shipping) and that I'll pack and weigh it after the auction. The reason I don't pack and weigh it ahead of time is that it seems that people want more pictures or descriptions as the auction ages, and if it doesn't sell I haven't wasted the time. I also make the insurance mandatory so nobodys tempted to say "they never got it". Haven't had a problem yet

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just have to add this to my lessons learned on e-Bay. I'll remember to make the insurance manditory, and if they don't want it they can send me a message saying they don't want it. Then I'll have a leg to stand on if they tell me not to put it on the item and they never get it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I use a baby scale that my wife (nurse) used to use when she did what I call baby visit. I also try to put an exact price for shipping. Think I've been screwed maybe 3 times, but they were all my fault cause I under estimated shipping.

(I have also almost stopped shipping out of the U.S.A , just cause it take too much time on my part)(well maybe canada, for the Nova guys)

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
I used to use a fixed shipping ammount but everytime someone from California won an auction I ended up getting screwed since the whole state seems to be in a high shipping area!!!

Even had a guy from So-Cal email me and tell me that I was screweng the bidders because the shipping calculator said shipping to him would be $30+ for a heater assembly from a 63.

Well, if you don't like it.......MOVE!!

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
Joe said:
Shady,
Cant you get Anything Right when it comes to Shipping?:D
Joe
Hey now Joe, I can't help it that you live in the wrong town......:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Nightshade, You know I am just Joking.
For anybody that doesnt know,Nightshade goes the Extra Mile when it comes to Service.
Joe

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Joe said:
Nightshade, You know I am just Joking.
For anybody that doesnt know,Nightshade goes the Extra Mile when it comes to Service.
Joe
If that is true, then he should be closer, and that should make shipping cheaper!!:rolleyes: :D

And if he will go the extra mile, why not 2000 and just hand deliver??;) :D :D

Randy (c'mon Jeff!!! Give REAL service!!):D :D

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
72GreenRally said:
Randy (c'mon Jeff!!! Give REAL service!!):D :D
It's :beer: :30 and I'm gonna go home now and have a few :beer: :beer: :beer: so I can get out and "gold plate" your Billet grille!!!:eek:

Hows that for service!!!!:D

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Randy,
I dont want you Guy's to think I am using the Site to promote Jeff.After I typed that I thought others might not get the Joke and believe I had a Problem with Shipping.Jeff is one of the Few that has ever said"Shipping was Cheaper I need to Send you Money back".I am use to,after you Stroke the Check the Deal is Done.
Joe

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Don't worry about it Joe. I have accidently said good things about Jeff myself. He joined the site shortly after I did. Of course ol' Johnny started his bagging on us when we started, and we all became friends. I give Jeff a ton of BS to keep his head from swelling to big. I don't want him to look like a watermelon on a toothpick! There are a few guys on the site I will direct people to when they are looking for things. Jeff is one of them. Once I have heard that somebody does honest business with the other site members, I don't see any reason to not help out 2 people with a simple suggestion in a post.

Now DON'T tell him I said any of this!!! I will DENY all allegations!!!:D :D

Randy (Now you have to bag on the Shady one!!);) :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts