Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How loud are the 3" ones that are 16" long? I bought a set (should be getting them tomorrow) and want to know just how loud they'll be on the street. Everything I've heard tells me that the Flowmasters I have are sucking up a bit of the power my car should make. I'm doing everything simple that I can at this point to go faster.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
haha tryin to get in the 6's???? i guess they have a muffler rule...check out spintechs, well...you already ordered them, report back with your opinions

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We'll see how they do. From what I understand my little suspension adjustments should get my short times down enough to get me where I want. Never enough power though...

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
I use them

How loud are the 3" ones that are 16" long?
I use the 2-1/2" version. At idle and cruise they are not to bad, but under modrate acceleration and wot they are VERY loud, close to open exhaust.

I like them, like the sound, don't mind the noise, but wouldn't but them on a daily driver thats for sure.

·
Registered
141 Posts
i have the 2.5" exiting out before the rear tires on my 74. just right to cruise around on the street and roll past the authorities without making too much noise. but yes once you open it up theres not much difference between open headers.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just hope they don't sound like crap. I found a thread from a while back that makes it sound like they don't sound pretty. I remember firing my engine up open headers when I first put it together. WOW! It was TOO LOUD! Painful actually. At least the bullets will go back to the axle and hopefully some of the tubing sucks up the sound as well. Should get here today or tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Mounted the way you plan to do might not be bad, but the little bullets at the collector to me sound like crap. Eileen with the blown 65 Chevelle has hers right at the collector and it's kinda loud, but they let her slide on the noise rule. Even my car got tossed for noise when they first opened!

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mounted the way you plan to do might not be bad, but the little bullets at the collector to me sound like crap. Eileen with the blown 65 Chevelle has hers right at the collector and it's kinda loud, but they let her slide on the noise rule. Even my car got tossed for noise when they first opened!
Hopefully it isn't a problem. The way this engine is set up is much louder than it was in the other car. I mean, a LOT louder when it was open headers. I was referring to your comment in another thread about these mufflers only being slightly less annoying than the Honda cars. I will flange the exhaust for both mufflers to be interchangeable, and might possibly experiment with other mufflers at a later date. Right now this was the cheap way to (hopefully) free up a few horsepower. I've heard of people (Dale) changing from a Flowmaster to a straight through muffler and picking up a tenth or more in the 1/8. My math shows that if I better my best 1/8 time by a tenth that I'll be solidly in the 6's. That's where I want to be.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I had 3" bullets off the collectors. Holy crap, they were loud! My whole house went swaying when I fired it up in the garage. Sounded nice, but wouldn't recommend on a vehicle that is driven more than a couple hundred miles a year. And you have to be able to deal with the noise while in the car. I got a headache and put my 2 1/4" summit exhaust back on. Happy camper now.

Kev

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
The more pipe you use or the farther you run the exhaust back the quieter it will be. Don't get me wrong, the bullets are gonna get rowdy at WOT but nothing like if they were right off the collector. At that point the exhaust pulses are still moving too fast for a perforated core muffler to do much of anything.

If the bullets are too loud you can always use the UltraFlow welded series mufflers. They are basically the same as the bullets but with quite a bit more packing.:yes:

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How rowdy would they be if you mounted them right before the rear end and used turn downs?
that's what i'm going to do. i'll let you know how 'rowdy' they are

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
that's what i'm going to do. i'll let you know how 'rowdy' they are
Cool, thanks. Any chance of posting a video ot two? :D...... I would like to get rid of the exhaust that is on the car now. Somone did a crappy job bending the pipes and mounting the flowmasters.

-Dan

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I don't think you would loose any power running over the axle, but your car would be much more quiet.

·
Registered
218 Posts
we have dynomax on our camaro...we've run them turned down before the axle and as in this video right after the collector http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbXLx8mAG64 ....the difference is crazy @ the axle is much quieter. Keep in mind this engine is 15.5:1:devil: so its loud anyways. we have driven the car several hundred miles with both exhaust setups and have never been stopped by the cops(live in dawsonville home of thunderoad,moonshine and nascar), but have got some smiles and best of pipes trophies

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't think you would loose any power running over the axle, but your car would be much more quiet.
I may not have been clear. My exhaust currently does dump before the axle and I was leaving it that way. Only benefit I see from that is that some weight is behind the axle. Otherwise everything else is difficult to do when you disassemble/reassemble stuff.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts