Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you install a type of sound deadening mat does the carpet and seats still fit with out alot of problems or modifications? what did you use to deaden heat and noise for best results on new floor?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Do some research for Lizard Skin, they offer a sound control & heat control spray on coating that works real well. The proper thickness is the same as a credit card. Check out some You Tube videos. All of the major distributors offer it, Summit, Jegs, Eastwood, etc. Hope this helps.

Mike

·
Registered
285 Posts
Dynamat Extreme

I have used Dynamat Extreme on a couple of builds. I will use no other. Temperature rated -65F to 300F. 50 percent to 75 percent coverage is all thats required.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had no issues when installing in my 66. Definitely helps with the floor heat, although it will still get quite warm in the car if you're running headers. I plan on looking into heat shields at some point. I think shields in combination with Dynomat might be the way to go. The good thing about Dynomat, or Lizard Skin for that matter, is you can install them yourself!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sound deadener

thanks for your feed back and i will check into Lizard skin. i was wonder if dyno mat worked or not because of the thickness of material and carpet and seat fitment and other items that mount to floor. For example (seats,carpet, seat belt, and floor shifter. thanks

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I used FatMat, worked great and had not fitmit issues with carpet or interior.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I used Hush Mat in my car from the firewall to the back glass. I also did the roof. In reality, all the products are just butyl mats. There are lots of companies marketing them but most are pretty much the same. I also thought about installing a thin 1/8 inch layer of volara foam in the floor and roof but didn't do it. I did put a 1/2 inch sound deadening mat on my firewall to insulate the passenger compartment from the engine bay. My interior is black so I tried to make sure I did everything I could to keep things cool. The butly mat is very thin so I didn't have any problem installing seats, carpet or anything. I took a punch from the bottom to locate the mounting holes for anything that had to be bolted and then cut a small opening for the bolt. You don't want to get the butly on your bolt threads. This is a in process shot of my install.

·
Registered
193 Posts
x3 on fat mat. if you are concerned about fitting it under the carpet like in the door sill, must make sure to not run the sound deadening all the way to the edge.

·
Registered
659 Posts
There is another product out there called Raammat. I used this as the sound deadener and then followed it up with Ensolite which is the sound absorption product.
I am sure this was a bit overkill, but I put 2 layers of each on the entire floor pan from firewall to backseat bracing, 3 layers on the transmission tunnel, 1 layer in all doors, quarter panels and the trunk complete.
The end result is amazing, less heat transfer thru the tunnel, doors thud when closing and a heck of a lot less road noise. Heck I actually thought there was something wrong with my engine because it was muffled so much.
Doing this in relation to Dynomat and Fatmat was 1/2 the price. No issues at all with putting back in the carpet, seats or center console.

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
I used Dynamat and had no issues with it. It molds to whatever you apply it to and isn't very thick so OEM carpets fit fine. It works great! Tip:If you choose to use Dynamat get the roller and also use the back of a screw driver to help form it into the contours of your floor pan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
thickness?

I was wondering what size deadener thickness is everyone using i would like to do my 63 all stock interior. Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts