Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has Dynatech stopped making the 74021210 headers for the Gen I SBC? This is/was a 1-5/8 - 1-3/4 stepped header with a 3x10" collector. I'm ready to by exhaust/header stuff and now can't find any available (Summit, Jegs, Speedway, ...). All that I can find is listed for LS transplants...

Is there a different manufacturer that offers a set that is similar for a 3rd gen Nova?

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,494 Posts
Unfortunately, I believe so.
I was getting ready to purchase the 740-13310 (1-3/4 - 1-7/8 stepped header) when I found out they were no longer being produced by Dynatech.

Seems weird Dynatech discontinued this line of header after they put so much effort into producing such a great fitting (and highly recommended) header.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Has Dynatech stopped making the 74021210 headers for the Gen I SBC? This is/was a 1-5/8 - 1-3/4 stepped header with a 3x10" collector. I'm ready to by exhaust/header stuff and now can't find any available (Summit, Jegs, Speedway, ...). All that I can find is listed for LS transplants...

Is there a different manufacturer that offers a set that is similar for a 3rd gen Nova?
The Dynatech website shows only big block and LS headers for the Nova/Camaro. It might be worth the effort to e-mail them and ask.

Gerry

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
No gen. I engine headers for our 3rd gens anymore for now from them. I'll be buying Hedman Huslers if I get another Nova. I used those about 3 Novas back and they fit great.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I spoke with Dynatech and the Gen I SBC headers were discontinued last summer due to lack of sales..... Only thing available would be reseller/distributor old stock - which doesn't appear to exist.

So now, either re-coat the existing 1-5/8 Hooker Super Comps or upgrade to another set/manufacturer.

SBC1320 - Do you know what # Hedman header fits the 3rd Gen? Looking for either 1-5/8 stepped to 1-3/4 or 1-3/4.

Waterdog - I didn't think Sandersons offered any - I check into it.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
SBC1320 - Do you know what # Hedman header fits the 3rd Gen? Looking for either 1-5/8 stepped to 1-3/4 or 1-3/4.
Don't remember the part number, but these are them. They are the Hedman Husler line. I took them off and had them coated after the fitment check. They are 1 3/4".

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here’s what I have been able to find that’s still available for the 3rd gen Nova/1st Gen Camaro SBC w/ straight plug heads (steel ceramic coated headers):

Part # Flange Pri Tube Collector Fits/Issues
Dougs Headers:
D308 3/8” 1-5/8” 16ga 3” 3 bolt standard flange Floor Shift Only (Auto & Man)
D368 3/8” 1-3/4” 16ga 3” 3 bolt standard flange Floor Shift Only (Auto & Man)
Both headers appear to fit pretty good with none or very minor issues from Summit reviews…

Hedman Street Headers:
66003 5/16” 1-3/4” 18ga 3” Ball/Socket w/ 3” reducer Floor Shift Only (Auto & Man) & won’t fit Saginaw 825 PS box (close ratio) - Steering Box clearance (Man & Power) seems to be an issue from Summit reviews…

66503 5/16” 1-3/4” 18ga 3” Ball/Socket w/ 2-1/2” reducer Column & Floor Shift (Auto & Man)
Steering Box (Man & Power including close ratio) clearance doesn’t appear to be an issue from Summit reviews…

68676 5/16” 1-5/8” 18ga 3” Ball/Socket w/ 2-1/2” reducer Column & Floor Shift (Auto) Floor shift (Man)
Headers appear to fit pretty good with none or very minor issues from Summit review…

68276 1/4” 1-5/8” 18ga 3” Ball/Socket w/ 2-1/2” reducer Column & Floor Shift (Auto) Floor shift (Man)
Headers appear to fit pretty good with none or very minor issues from Summit reviews…

Hooker Super Comp Headers:
2130-1hkr 5/16” 1-5/8” 16ga 3” 3 bolt standard flange Column & Floor Shift (Auto) Floor shift (Man)
Headers appear to fit pretty good with none or very minor issues from dated Summit reviews…

2131-1hkr 5/16” 1-3/4” 16ga 3” 3 bolt standard flange Column & Floor Shift (Auto) Floor shift (Man)
Headers have mixed reviews from dated Summit reviews…

Underlined # is best of brand (my opinion only). My 70 nova has factory standard ratio power steering box, control arms, and subframe. I have a 358” SBC with straight Plug heads slated to be dropped in with a manual 5 speed trans (Lakewood steel SFI rated bellhousing). I'm planning on 3" back to a X-pipe then reduce to 2-1/2" back to a Pypes transverse RaceFlo muffler & tailpipes.

Now the main question - has anyone had first hand install/fitment experience with these headers?

All insight and or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts