Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am going to buy either Dynamat or Fatmat soon for my 73 Hatchback.

Besides the cost being the biggest factor. Are their any other pro's and Cons.

Fatmat on Ebay 100 sq ft for 129.00. Dynamat on Ebay for 36 Sq Ft for 134.95.

Well I was also looking for a carpet kit for my Nova and I ran across this also. http://www.stockinteriors.com/HeatSound.asp?Itemid=4783&MakeId=5&ModelId=84

It's not as thick only .36" but with the cost only at 40.00 could this be a better solution?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Well, I can't say anything about how good Dynamat is or the other stuff, but I did use Fatmat to do my whole Jeep. It's good stuff, and I couldn't be happier with the results. The jeep is now much quieter and more comfortable than my wife's car. Here are a few pictures. For the price, it's way better than Dynamat. One thing I will say is WEAR GLOVES. This stuff cuts really easily, and it's a thousand times worse than a paper cut.

Doors inside and outside:

roof:

Did the side panels and everything I could get at

·
Registered
89 Posts
not criticizing in any way... i think you did a great job applying it. the thing with fatmat is its made out of cheapo materials and i have seen it work, but ive seen a lot of problems, especially in places exposed to a lot of humidity. dynamat is a waste of money, too expensive for what it is, but it is much better in quality. im a huge advocate for second skin products. ive installed in almost 30 cars and never had a single problem, its cheaper then dynomat, and customer service is second to none...not to mention supioror quality to dynamat. if you ever have another project to apply, id def recomend it

·
Registered
156 Posts
To save money you dont need to cover the entire structure with sound dampening materials, only a portion, like 25% in center of each panel. Then follow up with a full covering of foam etc to block noise. Check out RAAM audio and sound deadener showdown.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Check out Second Skin Audio. Their Damplifier is a buytle based product rated to 500 degrees. It is similar to Dynamat Extreme, but a lot cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
9,796 Posts
Thanks for bringing up the Second Skin products, I was just going to ask about that. I need to get things quieter inside my car, and I've been looking around at their products. I had read some good things about it (cheap+good) but sometimes it's tough to tell if it's a real customer, or just a faked ad...especially on a forum with a big audience for that sort of thing like audio ones.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks for bringing up the Second Skin products, I was just going to ask about that. I need to get things quieter inside my car, and I've been looking around at their products. I had read some good things about it (cheap+good) but sometimes it's tough to tell if it's a real customer, or just a faked ad...especially on a forum with a big audience for that sort of thing like audio ones.
i use the spectrum sludge and the damplifier pro. its amazing

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have a question about these mats. I bought a replacement firewall blanket for my 72 from a source which I will not name. It fit ok around the heater box, but when I got to the drivers side the fit was atrocious and none of the holes were correct for the holes in the firewall. I cut it in half to try and make it fit but wound up throwing it in the floor.

My question, Has anyone ever used the other roll type insulations solely as a firewall and dash blanket leaving the stock type blanket off?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Always wondered one thing about all these products,

What happens when water gets trapped under the mat? I guarantee no matter how well you roll it out there will be some channel for water to get under this stuff and then I can see it there for a long time rusting away the metal.

Just my thought for a daily driver that see's rain and frequent washings.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Unfortunately...

the website sounddeadenershowdown.com no longer has the VERY well written comparison the guy did that compared all the big companies. What it came down to was get one of the larger companies butyl rubber deadener with the really sticky backing and call it good. That site still has some good info but nothing that showed the side by side comparisons such as heat tolerance. He took all of them applied them the same and place in the oven at like 180 until the very last one was left still stuck. What was found was that the ones such as some of the lower priced dynamats didnt last long. Reason I mention that is if you put it on some vertical panels, you'll have it in piles inside body panels before long. Bottom line, stay away from the "asphalt" based (read smelling) types or the ones that have foam in them. They only last a few years before they start breaking down. When I remember which one I ended up going with, I'll post it here. It sticks so well its like por 15, you get it in your skin and it takes a few days for the adhesive to come completely off with you skin oils.

·
Registered
458 Posts
i have second skin on my truck, and went with some cheaper stuff from ebay on the nova, so far its worked well. but i would rather have second skin in my car!!

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
2,040 Posts
I used this stuff. It took 2 rolls to do the floor boards of my car at 60 bucks a roll.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
I have a question about these mats. I bought a replacement firewall blanket for my 72 from a source which I will not name. It fit ok around the heater box, but when I got to the drivers side the fit was atrocious and none of the holes were correct for the holes in the firewall. I cut it in half to try and make it fit but wound up throwing it in the floor.

My question, Has anyone ever used the other roll type insulations solely as a firewall and dash blanket leaving the stock type blanket off?
You can lay the Second Skin Damplifier on the fire wall, then apply another one of their sound deadeners on top of that.

Always wondered one thing about all these products,

What happens when water gets trapped under the mat? I guarantee no matter how well you roll it out there will be some channel for water to get under this stuff and then I can see it there for a long time rusting away the metal.

Just my thought for a daily driver that see's rain and frequent washings.
Water should not get under the damplifier. It has a heavy aluminum backing and the sound deadner is butyle based. If it is properly put down, it will seal any holes. The guy told me I could even use it on my fuel pump bracked hanging above the rear axle completely exposed to the weather.

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
So you all like Damplifier huh?

I was approached by their sales rep to use it on the Nova. Maybe I'll try and weasel some out of him and use it on my T-Bird!!:devil::turn:

He asked me if I would be interested in using a product they have called "Spectrum"

It's a spray on type of coating. He says it weighs half of what the mats do and performs just as well if not better. Has anyone used this product?

John

·
Registered
96 Posts
B-Quiet!

How about B-Quiet Ultimate? I'm installing that right now in my '70. Picture shows partial installation - a long way to go...

and then I'm going to finish with Dynaliner over the hot areas and then Dynapad in the footwells.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
It's a spray on type of coating. He says it weighs half of what the mats do and performs just as well if not better. Has anyone used this product?
I check out the information on their web page. I could see its usefulness above the rear wheels on my hatchback. That's a place that would be hard to get with regular Fatmat due to the curvature.

I also think it might work very well on my hatchback itself. I curious if I could put some inside of my hatchback since I cant put anything on the interior portion of the hatchback.

Although it makes me wonder if it would eventually slide down and pool at the bottom.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts