Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my Dynamat (fat mat) came in the mail today and i decided to get on it. First thing was to clean the whole trunk and boy was it dirty! Anyways got all the grime out and started putting down the mat. Finished it in about an hour and a half with the help of my bro. I have a 15 inch sub and i thought it would cancel out all the rattles. :( The results were not quite what i was looking for. The rattles calmed down a little. Tomorrow i will tackle the whole interior. Hopefully the results turn out better tomorrow.

Heres some pics! :)

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope john, unfortunately I am a teenager on a low budget barley getting by. That would be a great idea but just don't have the green for it. :(

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Nope john, unfortunately I am a teenager on a low budget barley getting by. That would be a great idea but just don't have the green for it. :(
Will you be carpeting the trunk area? I know you already matted it but I would have matted the insets in the trunk lid not the whole thing but I bet it'll sound killer with the subs!

John

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know, I was thinking i should have only done the inserts. :rolleyes: O well kinda late now. I have a carpet i can put on the trunk floor though. I'm heading off to start the inside now. Pics will be up this afternoon hopefully. :yes:

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
I say that only because that stuff is expensive!:eek::(

But, no worries, I'm sure, technically, it is better since you are deadening the whole lid and not just portions of it! Just keep in mind that with matting you don't have to completely seal off the compartment you're matting, rather, you're just trying to kill resonant frequencies. In other words, when you're playing your stereo, certain frequencies start to resonate inside the car and it muddies up the sound. Putting a piece of matting on the offending panel will stop the reverberation of those frequencies and will make your stereo sound crystal clear! Kind of like vibrating a piece of sheet metal and putting your hand on it. The vibration will lessen since your hand is absorbing a lot of that vibration. You didn't have to cover the entire piece of sheet metal, rather, you just had to touch it in a small area.

John

·
Registered
23 Posts
I say that only because that stuff is expensive!:eek::(

But, no worries, I'm sure, technically, it is better since you are deadening the whole lid and not just portions of it! Just keep in mind that with matting you don't have to completely seal off the compartment you're matting, rather, you're just trying to kill resonant frequencies. In other words, when you're playing your stereo, certain frequencies start to resonate inside the car and it muddies up the sound. Putting a piece of matting on the offending panel will stop the reverberation of those frequencies and will make your stereo sound crystal clear! Kind of like vibrating a piece of sheet metal and putting your hand on it. The vibration will lessen since your hand is absorbing a lot of that vibration. You didn't have to cover the entire piece of sheet metal, rather, you just had to touch it in a small area.

John
If you can get a hold of some poly-fill(white cotton looking material for subs) you can stuff some of that in your sub box while you're at it. That stuff manipulates the cubic feet of the enclosure because it helps pick up some of the resonance and absorbs alot of the bi-product from the subwoofer moving in and out.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Hancock fabrics sells a cloth covered foam used for headliners in late model cars. $10 - $15would get the trunk lid and most of your sides covered. It comes in charcole and grey.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hancock fabrics sells a cloth covered foam used for headliners in late model cars. $10 - $15would get the trunk lid and most of your sides covered. It comes in charcole and grey.
Cool thanks! Theres just a Hancock fabrics just down the road from me. I'll look into it.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
rattles

I have a 15 inch sub and i thought it would cancel out all the rattles. :( The results were not quite what i was looking for. The rattles calmed down a little.

Rattles are really a "mechanical" issue. Dynamat won't cure them, you'll have to take time and track them down. I had one in the trunk that was a real pita as it was a harmonic and a rattle.
Turns out it was some loose change, nuts and bolts that fell down in the quarters. Fished the stiff out with a long magnet. The harmonic was from the rod springs for the trunk lid. Covered them with foam pipe insulation and problem was solved!
Had another up front that was fixed by replacing the cowl panel seals.

FWIW I dynamated the trunk and interior and feel it was well worth it.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More pictures...

Well i finished yesterday after taking 8 hours and 10 min to complete the whole inside in the blistering Texas summer heat:(. Its all done now and I have to say it was worth all the trouble. The noise did get noticeably quieter. :yes:
I ran out of duck tape for some parts and also ran out of the mat itself so i couldn't finish the part where it goes under the rear seat but no biggie.

Heres some more pics.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
wow! nice job. you should be happy with the results. I did a 91 s10 pickup all around with that stuff and on the inside going down the road it was more quiet than my girlfriends 2004 civic. I was very happy

·
Registered
134 Posts
How much did it cost to do the Nova with the Dynamat.

Well i finished yesterday after taking 8 hours and 10 min to complete the whole inside in the blistering Texas summer heat:(. Its all done now and I have to say it was worth all the trouble. The noise did get noticeably quieter. :yes:
I ran out of duck tape for some parts and also ran out of the mat itself so i couldn't finish the part where it goes under the rear seat but no biggie.

Heres some more pics.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
If you can get a hold of some poly-fill(white cotton looking material for subs) you can stuff some of that in your sub box while you're at it. That stuff manipulates the cubic feet of the enclosure because it helps pick up some of the resonance and absorbs alot of the bi-product from the subwoofer moving in and out.
I've got a few pounds of the stuff.

I used RAAMatt for my van, and I also sprayed great stuff in all the holes and things. This did an amazing job. Its a cargo van so there is no factory sound deadening and it sounds like a hollow can in the back. After the sound deadening and the great stuff, you can barely hear the road noise, and the stereo sounds great.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2932891

·
Registered
417 Posts
If you still have a rattle from the rear I would put a couple strips behind the lic. plate, you would be surprised how many cars rattle is from the plate!

I am about to dynamat the whole interior, what did you use to clean before the install?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts