Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would pass along my current first had experience. I have read several threads about recoloring (dying) seat belts. This was my weekend project and just completed it. Let me start off with that I have black belts and just wanted to repair the sun fade. The black belt looked like they were a blue grey color from 43 years in the sun. I should have taken pictures but you probably would not have been able to see the difference on a computer. Let me start off with if you don't want to distroy the white tags, remove them. Mine were not numbers matching and in bad shape anyway so I did not remove them. When I finished they were jet black and fell off in pieces. Here is what i used and how I did it.

12qt stainless stock pot
1.5 gal water
3 cups cheap white vinagar
1 bottle rit black liquid dye
3oz fabric softner

In the stock pot I brought 1.5 galons water with 1.5 cups vinigar to a boil.
I added the dye and reduced the heat to the lowest setting stired and added belts.
(Note: wash and dry belts the day before)
I let the belts sit in the pot for 90 minutes stiring every 10-15 minute.
I then turned off the heat and let stand another 60 minutes.
I took the pot to the garage sink and drained it.
Then I rinsed the belts in cold water to help set the dye.
Once the water in the pot stopped showing signs of the dye I refilled the pot with cold water and another 1.5 cups vinagar and the seat belts. Mixed well and let stand 30 minutes. Then added 3oz of fabric softner to the pot with the cold water and vivagar, mixed well and let stand another 30 minutes. I then spent about 10 minutes working the belts in the pot of vinigar and softner. I then spent another 10 minutes rinsing and working the belts in fresh cold water. I dried them off and hung to dry in the basement with a fan blowing right at then. I did move the buckles on the belts several times during the dying, setting and rinsing processes so to color and finishd product would be even. After letting dry over night i took a clean white cotton towel and wiped then to check for color fastness. Not a single mark on the towel from the dye. I then dampened the towel and wiped them again just to make sure with still no color thansfering to the towel.
I did not dye all the belts so I compared the freshly dyed to the ones that didn't get recolored and the match was perfect. The end result was the belts look great, they are not stiff and move through the buckles smoothly.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
I did the same thing to some green seat belts and it worked great:yes: I put the seat belts in the washing machine to wash them though:D I wrapped the buckles in rags so they wouldn't bang around much then let them air dry:yes:

·
Registered
921 Posts
So the trick is boiling them first with the RIB die? then cleaning them with cold water?

I will try this :yes:
Yep, Thats true. The boiling water loosens up the nylon fibers to accept the dye. Sorry I don't have any before and after pictures. But they look brand new. Just follow the directions above and you won't have any problems.

·
Super Moderator
3,403 Posts
So the trick is boiling them first with the RIB die? then cleaning them with cold water?

I will try this :yes:
Hell no! The trick is finding the patient wife/girlfriend/partner who lets you cook car parts in dye and vinegar in the kitchen for hours. Whoever that is is seriously car friendly.

Thanks for the process. I need to do that with some aqua belts soon, and the color match might be the bigger issue; wish they needed to be black.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Hell no! The trick is finding the patient wife/girlfriend/partner who lets you cook car parts in dye and vinegar in the kitchen for hours. Whoever that is is seriously car friendly.

Thanks for the process. I need to do that with some aqua belts soon, and the color match might be the bigger issue; wish they needed to be black.
LOL :D She will never NO! :devil:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts