Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished my disc brake conversion, but I can't get the very very last piece to fit! The darn little dust caps that go over wheels bearings. They just don't fit! should they be this difficult? I've tried heating tmy rotors a little as best I could but it was dead of winter in an unheated garage last time I tried. The instructiongs say "tap in with hamme" well there aint no way these things are "tapping" in.

any tips?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Are they the right size?

I just put disc brakes on my truck and used new caps from the "help" section of a local parts store. Them suckers where tight as well, but collapsed enough to get them in there with continued tapping with a drift punch on the edge bump out area.

You DO have the right shaped cap so it isn't hitting the spindle nut or end, right?

Been down THAT road too. :D

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maxturbo said:
Are they the right size?

I just put disc brakes on my truck and used new caps from the "help" section of a local parts store. Them suckers where tight as well, but collapsed enough to get them in there with continued tapping with a drift punch on the edge bump out area.

You DO have the right shaped cap so it isn't hitting the spindle nut or end, right?

Been down THAT road too. :D
Max how the heck do you know the answer every question!? I'll pay your rent if you come live at my apartment until I finish my car! :D

The caps came with the disc kit, and I have checked to be sure there is no clearance issue with nut/bolt. What is a "drift punch"? And what is the "edge bump out area"?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I think Max is referring to the small lip that runs around the cap
Yep! ;)

Max how the heck do you know the answer every question!?
I don't! :D
But after being a gear head since getting my 1st car at 14 (43 years ago) I've learned a bunch (mostly the hard way). I just feel the need to share before I'm too old to remember crap. ;)

I'll pay your rent if you come live at my apartment until I finish my car!
TOO damn cold (although I DO like cheese)

Drift...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Metric Hammer

MAX........is that an old "metric hammer" in the "drift punch" photo ??:confused:

Sure looks like a late 60's model.:D

:chev:

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Red, I THINK that's a calibrated and heat treated babbit, right handed hammer (and the left handed screw drivers are on the next page of their on-line catalog next to the relative bearing grease). ;)

:D :D

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
OK,,you're right,I didn't notice the calibrated face angle.Takes along time to get that adjustment "just right".Still think it's a late 60's model.:D

Got one just like it,,,keep it in the drawer with the left handed screw drivers (phillips and straight) metric hack saw,punch & chisel and close to the SAE blow tourch:eek:

Sorry:eek: I must not have enough to do this morning:D

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
An interesting side note...

The "Help" dust cap (part#13977) is advertised for "2-3/32" ID hubs".

GM must not have changed the size because this same cap fits my old 72' Nova DRUM, my 53' truck DRUM and my new Chevelle / Monte Carlo ROTORS (now on the 53')! :)

The BIG dif is the cover end style. I had to get the new ones to alllow my Sport rims to clear in the middle. ;)

Here's the new "Help" one and my old truck one...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The new caps that came with the CPP Disc brake kit where a little too small,,could pull them out with your hand,,so I used a small punch to put 3 dimples in the rim to make them tight.Now tap it in with a soft hammer and take it out with an old flat screwdriver.:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts