Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I set my oil pan on the block for a test fit in the hopes of buttoning her up soon and noticed the holes were 95% in alignment but not perfect. Upon further inspection and then laying the pan on several flat surfaces, it has a wobble (while on the block too) Seems to me this thing should lay dead flat, correct? This is a stock pan I got this new from GM dealer, pan made in Canada. thanks.

I said it before, shoulda bought a crate motor!:(

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
I set my oil pan on the block for a test fit in the hopes of buttoning her up soon and noticed the holes were 95% in alignment but not perfect. Upon further inspection and then laying the pan on several flat surfaces, it has a wobble (while on the block too) Seems to me this thing should lay dead flat, correct? This is a stock pan I got this new from GM dealer, pan made in Canada. thanks.

I said it before, shoulda bought a crate motor!:(
Yup, should be flat.. Fix the pan or get a new one..

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
I bought my front sump on ebay...It was a little warped too....I just kept twisting it by hand untill it lay perfectly flat.....I'm up and runing with no problems.......No leaks..

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Called the dealer today and they said a lot of them come that way. I was able to give it a little weight with half on and half off the bench. Fixed it a smidgen. Put it on the block with that monster 1 piece felpro and all looks good.

Any idea if the final verdict ever came in regarding the use of sealant of any kind with the fel pro 1880?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Called the dealer today and they said a lot of them come that way. I was able to give it a little weight with half on and half off the bench. Fixed it a smidgen. Put it on the block with that monster 1 piece felpro and all looks good.

Any idea if the final verdict ever came in regarding the use of sealant of any kind with the fel pro 1880?
I did not use any sealant on the one piece felpro gasket. It clearly states not to in the instructions so i followed what they said. So far, not a drop of oil leaking from the oil pan in the past year ive had it on.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Do not use sealent. You will have a leak for sure. We did it about ten years ago and never didi it again. When you bolt the pan on make sure you start in the middle and work your way out. This will help with not worping the pan any more and shouldnt have any problems. Good luck

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks guys. I was just double checking because the box this came in had no instructions. This think is quite snug. Currently I have the 4 outer bolts on, just to keep her clean and buttoned up till I resolve my pump issue. By the way, I used the ARP stainless oil pan bolts and found the outer ones were too short so I had to delete the washer. Seems ok since the 4 corners of the pan have a small reinforcement plate where the bolt sits. Seems to me that is plenty to distribute the load, sans washer.

Also realized I may need to recalibrate my pickup location. Maybe not. I set the pump and pickup and dabbed a small blob of bearing grease on the lowest point of the pickup tube. When I lay the pan on without gasket, I adjusted the pickup until I just noticed some grease residue on the pan. With the gasket in place, this should put me right around 1/4" to 3/8". My daughter just got some new play dough so I will double check it with the gasket on just to be sure. Point is, the felpro is a bit thicker than the cork and rubber setup.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I got your pumps today. Set side by side, your Milodon castings are noticeably different than ones I have from a year ago.

Some interesting initial observations, (mounting hole looks offset and the locating pads aren't machined), but I need to do some measuring to be sure I'm on the right track.
I've got some work ahead of you, but I'll take a closer look at the problem this weekend.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
You are not crazy. I checked the pump(s) against my oil system mock up engine and those pumps don't clear the counter weights. I checked a known good pump (just built for Ron Slabaugh) and it clears fine. I'm going to contact Milodon with my findings and ask them some questions. I won't air any dirty laundry on this forum without having all the facts.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
You are not crazy. I checked the pump(s) against my oil system mock up engine and those pumps don't clear the counter weights. I checked a known good pump (just built for Ron Slabaugh) and it clears fine. I'm going to contact Milodon with my findings and ask them some questions. I won't air any dirty laundry on this forum without having all the facts.

Why not? Problems like that should be brought to light and well known so people can have future reference if they run into the same problem. :yes:

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I don't have all the facts and don't know the "why" just yet. I want to hear what they have to say. The investigation continues...

·
Registered
566 Posts
Try to straighten your pan like this:

WITHOUT a gasket, bolt the pan to the block, and torque it down SNUG. Take the bolts back out, and see if it stretched it out straight. You can't hurt the block doing this, nor the pan. good luck.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't have all the facts and don't know the "why" just yet. I want to hear what they have to say. The investigation continues...
understood and I completely agree. While your at it, maybe you can ask them some questions I posed but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

1. I was told the "cracked" pump that I returned must have happened in shipping, they said it was fine when it left and said the UPS guy must have dropped the box. 2. I was told pumps are cast in CA, USA yet see no mention of anything on the pump, box, or instructions. No biggie, just wondering.

Thanks again Paul, your input here is invaluable. I am somewhat comforted to know you ran into clearance issues yourself.

If I still consider using that pump, my main two issues are; with all that "meat" there, is it safe to grind enough away to clear, and more importantly, I probably couldn't use the pump anyway because the shaft just about hits the block and as I mentioned, is longer than the M55 shaft.

firebird, thanks.....I got the pan a drop straighter than it was and with the 1 piece felpro, all looks good. I'll get some pics up.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
The problem appears to be the pump mounting holes (bolt and dowels) were machined off center. The hole pattern is correct, it's just not in the right place. Grinding won't center the shaft in the through hole. If the oil pump input shaft is offset with the distributor centerline, you'll probably have problems.

IMO, this is a QC/purchasing problem but I have more questions than answers right now.

Because the casting is different than the ones we looked at a year ago that leads me to believe they have a new supplier. They do not say made in USA, but I don't think that's required unless you are exporting. The castings may come from offshore and be machined here or who knows where. The fact that the locating pads aren't machined makes me wonder how they locate the castings in the machining fixture. The holes can be correct to print and still be wrong if someone left a datum line out.
I don't know if just a few got out the door or the whole batch is made wrong.
If they had a third party machine them, they may not have stipulated QC requirements on the PO properly.

I used to troubleshoot stuff like this for a living and if you following the trail you can always find out what, who and where it went wrong.

One thing is for sure, when a screw up turns into a lot of junk parts, there's going to be a lot of finger pointing at the eventual "blame meeting".

Right now the "why" this happened is just speculation on my part. I don't want to stir the pot on the internet, especially if I don't have all the facts. Plus I want to maintain good relations with Milodon.

Contact me at the oilpump email address in Services Offered section if you want me to build you a pump that fits. Currently the wait time is about 30 days, but that may get better when I catch up.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Paul, you have mail.

For the record, my experience with Milodon so far has been a bit frustrating but they have a long history of being a reputable company and sent me TWO free pumps for my trouble. Service response has been good and the pump itself seems very hefty and durable. I am sure we will get to the bottom of this. I am not bashing them in any way and hope my posts have not come across that way.

Required or not, if I am manufacturing something here in the states, you can be sure I will proudly add "USA" right into the casting. But that's just me.

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
Thanks guys. I was just double checking because the box this came in had no instructions. This think is quite snug. Currently I have the 4 outer bolts on, just to keep her clean and buttoned up till I resolve my pump issue. By the way, I used the ARP stainless oil pan bolts and found the outer ones were too short so I had to delete the washer. Seems ok since the 4 corners of the pan have a small reinforcement plate where the bolt sits. Seems to me that is plenty to distribute the load, sans washer.
My Fel Pro 1 piece sb pan set came with instructions and bolts. The instructions say to dab RTV in the corners and use the supplied bolts which are longer than stock.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My Fel Pro 1 piece sb pan set came with instructions and bolts. The instructions say to dab RTV in the corners and use the supplied bolts which are longer than stock.
Another quandry for the ages. Mine came in a real nice, sealed white box, FelPro made in USA, no instructions, no nothing. Just a really nice, well made gasket. I have had more people tell me no silicone in the corners than those who have. Gonna go with the audience on this one. Not sure if that's my final answer :rolleyes: As far as bolts, mine grab at least a few threads, will take a closer look and see if I'm going to need the longer bolts. Maybe I'll call felpro and ask them to send me some.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts