Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm preparing my 69 Nova for significant metal rework to include the floor pan and inner / outer wheel houses as well as the quarters.

I'm not doing the work personally.

I've had the car for over 25 years and it is about time to fix the corrosion.

I enjoy a stock looking car and currently run 14 inch wheels and little 215 drag radials with set of superstock springs.

I like the option of bolting on a 325 DR someday in the future (especially as the HP increases), but not sure if modifying the car is worth it.

Knowing I'm replacing the tubs already...what negatives are there with the DSE minitub install?

I know the stock fuel tank will not work...could one not run the rear offset shackles until such time a big tire is desired (thereby using the OEM tank)?

Handling? Ride? Rear seat?

Thanks!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My mistake...meant a 1969 model...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, what compromises might there be?

Thanks

Tim

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ok, what compromises might there be?

Thanks

Tim
If you want to run leafs, then you have to narrow the pearches, which requires you to narrow the tank etc. You also have to relocate shocks inboard. Or you could run a 4 link and run stock tank possibly if your not running a 335 which then the corners would have to be notched for exhaust. See where i am going? With every modification, you have to compromise with change elsewhere. I guess the only real negative would be the cost of all the changes if it is outside your budget.

·
Registered
157 Posts
there are several 66/67 novas in my area running 265's on the rear without mini tubs. you just have to buy the correct wheel b/s

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
there are several 66/67 novas in my area running 265's on the rear without mini tubs. you just have to buy the correct wheel b/s
66/67's can run one size wider (normally) than the 62-65's, but to get that wide you will probably need to trim off the bump stop that is in the wheelwells. You are correct that the backspacing becomes even more critical when trying to go wide.

Walt

·
Registered
190 Posts
wider rubber oh ya.

Any more info on what offset rim width for the rear and sure must have to roll wheel lip or maybe not, trying not to as was just painted, but will do what I have to with only 235's back there, way too skinny for me. So what is the widest I could run with the stock rim for now, will buy rims in the future just trying to get a plan.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You'll need to relocate the shocks inboard and up into the trunk, if you dont go up, you will run into shock lenght problems. Detroit Speed sells their shock relocation channel. It's a pretty straightforward deal, and allows you to use a stock lenght shock.

We use a 15x10 wheel w/ 6.5bs with a stock width rear and a 30x10.5 tire, I'll look for a pic ..................

·
Registered
21 Posts
Any more info on what offset rim width for the rear and sure must have to roll wheel lip or maybe not, trying not to as was just painted, but will do what I have to with only 235's back there, way too skinny for me. So what is the widest I could run with the stock rim for now, will buy rims in the future just trying to get a plan.

Here's a 295x65 drag radial on a 15x10 wheel w/ 6.5 bs, plenty of room both inside and out ......................

·
Registered
190 Posts
b spacing.

Thanks, a lot of rim being a 10", nice also a lot different b spacing than from an artical I found, the tubs make the whole difference. good to know about the shocks, will have to look into the kit, parts and pricing, do a few more jobs for others and start buying. The extra tire width will help it hook up too, right now with 400hp and 3.08's it roasts them easily and addind a 2,500 stall in the future too, don't need more than that plus will be putting some highway miles on to car shows this summer. Needs a posi also but wants sure what I was doing on that, need it streetable so probably just a Eaton unit for the 8.2.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mud.man.rj: Thanks for hi-jacking the thread...:rolleyes:

Maybe I should have asked if anyone regrets mini tubbing their Nova?

Thanks

Tim

·
Registered
157 Posts
just go for it. unless you cars vin tag has special siginifcance, you're just improving an old car. I cut my 66 Sunday for minitubs, and I cant wait to tuck the tires up under it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
mini tubs 69 NOVA, 69 only, yep only...

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread, you just picked such a cool subject, just the coolest part in making a difference to the 69 with tire width. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts