Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:I am building a pro street 64 nova for the last 6 years, Its got a chris alston back half with 31x18.50s, 4 link, heidits front end, all that left is engine tranny and paint. My plan was a 540 BBC but now money is a real problem. So I have a choice I spend 6-10K on a BBC or I have a good friend that will sell a dry sump 355 out of a late model circle track car that has just been gone through with a streetable cam for $3500 this is a easy 20 grand engine that is complete, oil pump, hoses, tank, every thing. Anyone here ever run a dry sump on the street. My friend ran it for a while in a s10 but it had the circle track cam in it so it wasnt very streetable. Part of me thinks it would be great since I have never seen a dry sump engine on the street but then why havent I seen one? The engine made 500 hp on the dyno with a 390 CFM carb and vortech heads and 9.0 CR. So I am assuming I should make some more power with some aftermarket heads and a little more compression but i still want to run pump gas. So should i save up until I get the money to build a BBC or should I buy a dry sump engine? and If I want more power someday I will put some different heads on the engine. I want to get my nova on the road again but whatever I buy is going to stay in it for a while:confused:

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Is there any way to convert the dry sump 355 to a wet sump? That price is almost too good to pass up. If you could buy the 355 complete with everything you need to run, and convert it to wet sump, I would do that, sell off the dry sump parts, and put the money back into the 355. I'm assuming we are talking just a stock GM block on the 355?

You could also stroke it for better torque/power. If it's an after market block, you could make some serious power with a fairly mild big inch small block.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
As far as I know there's no downside of running a dry sump on the street...in fact, isn't the new Corvette engine using a dry sump setup? It doesn't sound like a very streetable engine combination but it's your car and you know what you can live with.

·
Registered
562 Posts
seattle mike is correct... dry sump makes the oil get were it needs to go. it is better than a wet sump. the reason you dont see many on the street is probably because you dont need them on the street, and there very expensive.what i mean is most street rigs arent over 500 horses, and they arent taking corners one after another pushing oil away from the sump. you were talking 3500.00 for the motor, more than likely the dry sump setup is worth that. i think it would be a good street motor, it has vortec heads, and 9 to one comp. if it has vortec heads it probably doesn't have a huge cam. they take a bunch of work to get clearance and still wont fit large cams. they are a good designed head and pretty efficient. you wont gain very much compression by switching to a different head because vortecs have 64cc chambers. if your in to making the most out of a 355 with the vortec heads i have a book were they played on the dyno for over a year switching cams intakes ect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts