Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked the oil after driving to work, so the motor was warm....and the dip stick was dry. It ran fine all the way there, the oil light was on until it warmed up a little bit, but it's done that before. There's a small spot in the garage where it leaked a little, but it doesn't leak while at work. It's not burning oil either.

So...where's my oil? Or am I the dip-stick :rolleyes::wow:

·
Registered
929 Posts
How far of a drive? had a tire throw a rock into the oil filter once. Didn't leak till it was under pressure. Good luck. might check the oil sending unit or line.

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
not good

A dry stick is never a good thing. Fill it back up, put some cardboard under the car and run the engine for a long time at different RPMs. Best if you can do it after getting the oil warm.
What's the history on the motor? Is it new or has it got a few thousand on it. When was the last time you checked the oil level? if you lost 2 quarts in 10 or 20 miles, you should find the leak fairly easily. If it's 2 qts in a thousand miles, that's going to be tougher. What about the exhaust? If it idles for a while does it start to smoke?
Chasing some of these things take real patience. Let us know.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I had a friend with a SBC powered street rod loose oil pressure and the valves would clatter when going around tight corners. We were traveling to an event in the mountains. Stopped and checked and his oil level was fine. Next corner same thing but acted like it was short of oil. Pulled the distributor and oil pump was working fine. I added a quart and it got better. When we got to the event, we pulled the oil pan to find the dip stick was laying on top of the oil pump pickup and not giving a true reading. It was 3 quarts low after the one we added. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
How many miles have you put on the car since you checked the oil last? If the leak is very minor, Do a compression and leak down test. It may be consuming you're oil just enough to not be smoking yet. RICK

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its a 15 minute drive on the side roads. I recently drove it to a drag strip 1 hour away, then another hour back. No issues. I'm not hearing any clicking...but thanks for suggestions i'll have to try a few :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts