Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this conversion using the DBK1012LX Kit? I am in the process of this conversion and clearly the cables sent are not a factory replacement. The factory cable to the drums is a continuous cable that from the pull point is approx. 24" on the left side and around 58" on the right side. The kit gives you 2 37" cables so clearly one is too long and one is way too short. Without some major mods to make this work has anyone ran into this issue and did you just reuse the original cable? Thanks.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Has anyone done this conversion using the DBK1012LX Kit? I am in the process of this conversion and clearly the cables sent are not a factory replacement. The factory cable to the drums is a continuous cable that from the pull point is approx. 24" on the left side and around 58" on the right side. The kit gives you 2 37" cables so clearly one is too long and one is way too short. Without some major mods to make this work has anyone ran into this issue and did you just reuse the original cable? Thanks.
Just looked up the DBK1012LX Kit's specs on their site and it looks like you received the wrong cables....both of 'em. They say you should have a 36.22" and a 39.76" cable. That change make any sense for you? Looks like your Intermediate Cable may need to be replaced as well to make it work. Mine did.
Tim

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I changed the intermediate cable then it may be possible to make it work however the mounting flange for the cables is welded to the frame under the drivers side rocker panel area so would be somewhat of a mod to make cables other than the original length work. Strange, as the kit says its for 62 to 67 Chevy11 and is states that you connect to existing cables. The kit also says its for A body cars, and it that case those cables would work fine as that brake system splits up front and runs a cable down each side of the car, different to the Nova where the main cable run is only down one side of the car and splits at the rear axle on the drivers side.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If I changed the intermediate cable then it may be possible to make it work however the mounting flange for the cables is welded to the frame under the drivers side rocker panel area so would be somewhat of a mod to make cables other than the original length work. Strange, as the kit says its for 62 to 67 Chevy11 and is states that you connect to existing cables. The kit also says its for A body cars, and it that case those cables would work fine as that brake system splits up front and runs a cable down each side of the car, different to the Nova where the main cable run is only down one side of the car and splits at the rear axle on the drivers side.
It is an MPS kit (Master Power Brakes), right? If yes, you can try their online troubleshooting link. The individual i dealt with was VERY helpful when I hit my wall. Perhaps he can offer a suggestion that would work for your specific application or even swap-out to the correct extension cables? My experience has shown the larger US Companies are genuinely interested in your success and satisfaction. Never know till you try.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hi Guys
I have the CCP rear disc conversion and they supply just one cable for the rear, the same as stock but for cadillac calipers,Which looks like your kit uses, Maybee that might be the answer to your problem, however i might add that I have had no luck in getting my e brake to work with these calipers. I hope this is of some help.

Cheers Ian??

·
Registered
332 Posts
Waiting on the OP to hear how he makes out with MPS and/or his own solution.

One cable, Ian? For two callipers? interesting.

Yes, the callipers they provide can be a supreme [email protected]# to adjust the e-brake. Air was my biggest enemy. There are 4 or 5 Youtube videos on the subject but you have to study each one. The only way to get mine working was to remove the calliper and rotor to bleed (manipulating the calliper to ensure all air was gone). Went through a lot of b-fluid to get there.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Waiting on the OP to hear how he makes out with MPS and/or his own solution.

One cable, Ian? For two callipers? interesting.

Yes, the callipers they provide can be a supreme [email protected]# to adjust the e-brake. Air was my biggest enemy. There are 4 or 5 Youtube videos on the subject but you have to study each one. The only way to get mine working was to remove the calliper and rotor to bleed (manipulating the calliper to ensure all air was gone). Went through a lot of b-fluid to get there.
Yes from memory it is the same as stock but with caddy ends for the calipers, it even uses the stock horse shoe/adjustment arrangement to the front cable. in the UK we have to have a government roadworthynes test (MOT) every year and the e brake has to be 13% efficient which, no matter how I try I just cant get. It certainly helps if your brother is a MOT tester:)(y). My rear axle is so noisy i can play tunes on it if i use the gas pedal accordingly. So my solution is a ford 8.8 axle out of an explorer, disk brakes, shoe/drum type e brake and a locker all in one and easy to narrow as well.

Cheers Ian????

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the info, I came up with a solution that seems to work. Used one of the supplied cables for the drivers rear, then took the factory one piece rear cable, cut it just past where the saddle sat originally so now have 2 cables, 1 long and 1 short. On the factory cable I had to cut off the return spring as the calipers come with their own springs. Incredible pain to feed the cable ends thru the supplied caliper springs but eventually got it. Modified the original brace to be only 1 hole for the original cable and a pass thru for the new cable and then built a bracket for the new short cable about 2" ahead of original bracket. Cut the crimp ends off the new cable, fed both cables through a 3 hole bar I made and then crimped on aircraft cable clips on the end. Its a little crude but now I have adjustment ability to tighten the cable using a threaded coupling on the end of the front cable. I have pics if anyone is attempting something similar....this was during the trial, ended up double clipping and cutting off the excess once I knew it worked!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts