Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching and seems like most 2" drop spindles are for disc brakes or larger diameter wheels. Does anyone make a drop spindle for a Nova that still has 13" stock wheels and drum brakes?

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have the CPP drop spindles and their small disc brake set up and had 14" wheels on the car when I got it that fit. I know you asked about 13s but 14s will work.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CPP has 2” drop spindles. You should be able to run your 13” on that. Alternatively, you could get down 2” by taking a cutoff wheel to the front springs one complete coil winding on each side. That’s how I did mine.
I'll take a pic but my wagon is pretty low, I think the previous owner achieved the height but cutting the coils about 4". I think I would get a better ride with 2" spindles and cutting the coils enough to get the same ride height. My 155/80/13s front tires are almost tucked.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
My 205/60/15 are 24.7” tall.

I would think that if you had 4” of drop from cutting the coil, there would not be much suspension travel left. This would put your control arms in an upward angle from the frame to the wheel. Thus very near the bump stops and in turn making for poor ride quality as any little bump in the road maxes out the suspension travel. At full extension, there’s probably 6” to the bumpstop. At stock height there would be 3-4” of available upward travel.. Take out 4” of coil and you’re on the stops..

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 205/60/15 are 24.7” tall.

I would think that if you had 4” of drop from cutting the coil, there would not be much suspension travel left. This would put your control arms in an upward angle from the frame to the wheel. Thus very near the bump stops and in turn making for poor ride quality as any little bump in the road maxes out the suspension travel. At full extension, there’s probably 6” to the bumpstop. At stock height there would be 3-4” of available upward travel.. Take out 4” of coil and you’re on the stops..
You just basically said why I want 2" spindles, I'll gain travel and hopefully get a more comfortable ride. I didn't really pay attention to the stops when I had the wheel off but they probably were trimmed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts