Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped out my rearend a while back to put in an 8.5. The TH350 I got has a long tailshaft so I had to have the driveshaft cut to fit, but remember having about 2-3" to work with when removing it. Well, I put the 8.5 in and now only have about 1/2"-1" of play, and now I'm having a hard time removing it to install my posi carrier.

So, the question is, how much play should I have in the driveshaft to be safe? I'm guessing since I had to cut the original 7.5" rearend driveshaft to fit the transmission, and it's a little tight with the 8.5", won't I also have to cut the original 8.5" driveshaft now to fit properly as well, or is it alright with only 1" of play?

I've been told several things on this, and want to be sure before I go tearing my car up when it could have been prevented in the first place.

·
Registered
298 Posts
i'd think you should have a little more than 1" of travel.

think about it this way how much does the rear end move up and down when hitting a bump and how much would that move the drive staft

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That's exactly what I was thinking. With only about 1" clearance between tailshaft and yoke, I was thinking in worse case scenario, the driveshaft ramming into the transmission and messing it up. I'm just not real sure how much is too little or too much.

I would think if the driveshaft and angle are set properly that the driveshaft would tend to pull out of the tailshaft and return to original position rather than force the yoke into the tailshaft. Or am I wrong about that?

I have stiff suspension, 6 leaf springs with Monroe coil-over shocks, so I don't think there'll be too much travel unless I decide to take it off-roading and that won't be happening. I can stand on the back bumper, jump up and down and barely moves, maybe 4-5 inches tops. Of course I only weight about 160lbs, but it gives me and idea.

I just want to make sure I have enough clearance at the tailshaft so I don't damage the tranny, or figure out whether that's even an issue.

Thanks for the tip!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts