Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys so out of nowhere a few weeks ago on my 62 the front u joint housing i think its called a yoke started hitting the floor really aggressively. I haven't driven the car above 5mph because its so aggressive at that speed. just one of the four ends of the yoke is hitting. i checked both u joints, both are good. so i checked the trans mounts by jacking up were the trans pan is no play in that either. im really stumped as to what this is so any help would be awesome.
thanks

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Body can't drop, it's a unibody. Trans would have to move up or down. Maybe a bad front mount would drop the front of the engine and raise the tailshaft.

·
Super Moderator
3,583 Posts
Bad engine and or motor mounts could cause this, as could bad U-joint bearings. Just the bolts being loosened or dropping out of the trans mount, I think, could do it. Haven't hit any objects or landed on some rock or curb that was high? A bent trans crossmember might get the driveshaft to the floor. Let us know what happens.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
The only reason I can think of is that if just one joint of the driveshaft is hitting, then the yoke U-joint is not setting center in the driveshaft.
Have you checked the clips that hold the U-Joint cups in place?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had a trans yoke bushing wear out a long time ago.
There is a tool that has gingers that go over the tailshaft and grabbthat bushing.
Then you screw the bolt and it extracts the bushing.
To reinstall it, find a piece of tubing that has the same diameter of the bushing, and tap the new one in place. Then push the yoke/ driveshaft back in
Be sure to replace the rear trans seal at the same time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Something doesn't sound right here? How low is this car that the driveshaft is hitting the ground or am I not understanding the issue?

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey guys so out of nowhere a few weeks ago on my 62 the front u joint housing i think its called a yoke started hitting the floor really aggressively. I haven't driven the car above 5mph because its so aggressive at that speed. just one of the four ends of the yoke is hitting. i checked both u joints, both are good. so i checked the trans mounts by jacking up were the trans pan is no play in that either. im really stumped as to what this is so any help would be awesome.
thanks
Have you checked anything on the differentail it self something loose or broke ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
thanks
Sum Ting Iz Broke - Recco Put Car on Lift 4 Check By Compedent Tech- Prob should B obvious

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
So I’m just thinking about this and I’m not sure I can explain it without a more diagnostic approach. I would want to see what’s going on first hand. If this condition is taking place with such a low threshold of throttle application as you characterized it should be able to be viewed. I would get the car up off of the ground and run the drive line so you can observe what’s taking place. You may not get the problem to occur without a load on the driveline so you can lightly drag the brakes to simulate the load. I think you should be able to see what’s happening and assess what will be the required fix..

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
would like a "follow - up" , about this one - - - - "broken - trans mount " ? ?
any more details ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey guys thanks for all the segestions. sorry there was nothing new to report until today
So after a fund new trans and motor mounts were only $20 I decided to just at-least eliminate that from consideration so I replaced all the mounts and the shaft is still hitting. It might even be a little worse. I think my next move is to do what NOVA Thug said and get the car off the ground and see it in action, hopefully I will see the problem from there.
If anyone has anymore ideas please say them because I’m pretty stumped

I’ll report back whenever there is new news

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
……….… 10 - 4
Thank you for your up-date , and, when you get too that point ( as Joe said) , and with your car "safely"
jacked up …………. get a second set of eyes …………… too help you look things over ,,,,,, would
never hurt .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey everyone I haven't gotten the car off the ground yet but i just talked to a driveline shop and they said it was most likely a blown plug on the front slip yoke. does that make sense to anyone?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts