Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed 2" drop spindles and aired down the rear of my wagon and was going to take it for a spin then I heard the driveshaft hitting the trans tunnel in the front. The car is low, but not that low, and I would think it would hit in the rear before the ujoint hitting in front.

My question is does anyone think it's the crossmember raising the transmission too high that is causing the interference? It's the stock one with what looks like a rubber mount. I'll try to take a few pics tomorrow.

I then aired up the rear and it semed to give just enough room to drive a little down the block. Slow speed and no bumps.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It made just enough difference to give a little clearance. I need to take a look to see if it is hitting on top of the tunnel, or on the side.

·
0 Posts
Thats not right!!!!!!! I raised my tunnel 1 1/2 in the rear, by pie cutting it from the front seam. Mine would have hit the front........... But Dude!!...... Mine is SLAMMED!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Anyone have a picture of what the transmission crossmember and mount should look like?
I'm thinking the transmission is just too high, or off center enough to cause the contact.

My car is pretty low, but not slammed.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
check your tranny mounts condition, could be all worn out or broken and causing movement of the tranny or shaft to hit the pan....

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I would assume its a mount issue, being side to side not top to bottom. Is the noise repeatitive (speed based) or under power?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't have time last night to check the mount, but will tonight.

When I aired the car up under power it would still make contact. How high should the transmission sit on top of the crossmember? I know it depends on the mount being used.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
was it a continuous noise, increasing and decreasing with speed, all the time while you were driving? I know there are two different height mounts from what I remember also.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, checked into it more last night, and I have a stock powerglide crossmember, with the front lip still on. It looks like the trans pan is resting on top of the crossmember almost.

Does the Chevy2Only crossmember lower the transmission even 1/2"? It's all I would need to keep it fron making contact.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ordered a new crossmember and transmission mount. If I had time I would have trimmed and welded the one I had.

Once I replace everything I'll post an update, eveything should be in next week.

Thanks Everyone.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If all you need is a little clearance between the transmission and the tunnel, How about putting spacers between the frame and transmission crossmember (few washers), until you get your new crossmember in place? This is how 4x4's lower the trans/transfer case when using a big lift.

Scott

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can't space the transmission crossmember down because it bolts in horizontal, and not vertical. I could have bought a smaller transmission mount, then I would have to cut the crossmember and reweld, and time is against me getting that done.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts