Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried ordering prebent lines but im getting back orders or not in stock.

What are the specification for the driver size brake line so i can just make my own.
Fitting size on both side and overall length with the loop included. I am talking about the hard line that runs to the rubber line on the driver side

Car is a 1974 with manual drum brakes

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,063 Posts
Both front hard lines use 3/16" OD tubing. The outer ends where they connect to the flex hoses use standard 3/8"-24 inverted flare nuts.

The ends that connect to the distribution block use special oversize inverted flare nuts. I don't recall the exact size but they're likely 7/16"-24 or 1/2"-20.

For length, you'll likely have to measure the old line. When I make replacement brake or fuel lines, I usually try to remove the old line from the vehicle without cutting it or bending it up too much. Then I use a tape measure, following the curves & bends, to get a rough idea of the length and cut the new line a bit longer. Next, I use the old line as a template to make the bends in the new line. Repeatedly check the shape by placing the new line along side the old one and finally trim off the extra length after all bends are made.

The special oversize inverted flare nuts are available from places like SUR&R. Your local auto parts stores might have them in stock or be able to order them. If the old nut is still in decent shape you can cut the flare off the old line, slide the nut off, clean it up, and transfer it over to your new line before flaring the end.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both front hard lines use 3/16" OD tubing. The outer ends where they connect to the flex hoses use standard 3/8"-24 inverted flare nuts.

The ends that connect to the distribution block use special oversize inverted flare nuts. I don't recall the exact size but they're likely 7/16"-24 or 1/2"-20.

For length, you'll likely have to measure the old line. When I make replacement brake or fuel lines, I usually try to remove the old line from the vehicle without cutting it or bending it up too much. Then I use a tape measure, following the curves & bends, to get a rough idea of the length and cut the new line a bit longer. Next, I use the old line as a template to make the bends in the new line. Repeatedly check the shape by placing the new line along side the old one and finally trim off the extra length after all bends are made.

The special oversize inverted flare nuts are available from places like SUR&R. Your local auto parts stores might have them in stock or be able to order them. If the old nut is still in decent shape you can cut the flare off the old line, slide the nut off, clean it up, and transfer it over to your new line before flaring the end.
Did exactly as you advised and i was able to make a new line reusing my old fitting.

Extremely thankful for the time you took to explain this to me, it means a lot. Now my new master has to come in and then my brakes will actually stop!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts