Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to remove and replace the driver lower kick panel on my 78 Nova.
Has any one done this without taking half the car apart? It looks like i have to drop the emergency brake pedal assembly to be able to pull the vent tube of the panel out of the fender. only one bolt is accessible from under dash to remove pedal assembly and looks like the inner fender has to come to get to the remaining bolts that hold the pedal. If anyone has a trick to doing this without going to this amount of trouble please enlighten me! FRUSTRATED,Ken

·
Registered
198 Posts
The parking brake assembly has to be unbolted and it’s actually easier to remove it entirely to get the kick panel in and out. I’ve done it leaving the cable and wiring connected but I was fortunate to get it done without damaging anything.
The parking brake assembly is relatively easy to remove and re-install, then again I’ll have to check where the bolts on the firewall are. I can’t remember if my fenders were on or not when I was fighting with it but they are accessible right beside the wiring block on my 3rd Gen.

Whenever you’re monkeying around under the dash I recommend disconnecting the negative post of your battery.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agree with everything you said, but am willing to bet you had the fenderwells out of the car because the mounting bolts on the fire wall have no heads on them as in pressed in bolt style with probably nuts on fenderwell side. This really sucks,as already purchased new kick panels and the original is a mess as previous owner tried to remove and made a terrible mess out of it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yes, they are pressed in bolts with nuts on the firewall. This picture was taken after the car was water blasted,before the front fenders were removed. The two bolts with nuts at the furthest right in the picture are the parking brake mounting bolts. I don’t know for certain if there was a significant change in this area from 3rd to 4th Gen.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike, followed your advice,dropped the emergency brake assembly,cable and light switch and had good access to remove the kick panel. The new replacement panel looks factory new and the passenger side was a piece of cake. What started out as a ****ty project turned out great and i will sleep well tonight! Forgot to mention that there was nuts accessible to remove the emergency brake assembly without removing the wheelwell that i didn't see initially because they were covered over by good old Z-Bard,which is probably a good thing as this car would probably not be here today without it! This website Rocks!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgot to mention,that if anyone is looking to replace kick panels in there Nova i used the OER brand panels and they weren't what i call cheap but the fit and finish was very good. Very happy with the result!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts