Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a quick question. Does any other 4 gen owners have to put a shoulder into the door to get out? Maybe a good jab will do it, sometimes. I getting ready to replace glass that was broken. And curious to know what else I can fix while back there. Just like easy fix once back there? Parts? Where?!

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
So a quick question. Does any other 4 gen owners have to put a shoulder into the door to get out? Maybe a good jab will do it, sometimes. I getting ready to replace glass that was broken. And curious to know what else I can fix while back there. Just like easy fix once back there? Parts? Where?!

Thank you in advance.
It might be your hinge bushings are worn. Do you have to lift the door at all to close it after you get out of the car?If the door sags it won't open or close easily. If not it may be the latch is out of adjustment. Circled in picture. You can adjust this so it lines up with the latch on door better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you both for the reply.

I do lift the door to close. the window frame looks like it is hitting the pillar a lil bit. so I have been lifting during closing to help not do that. but even when I had a 75 hatchback. the door was a pain to get open from inside.
so worn hinge bushings.
someone has had to do that before. off to search/research.
you guys are great.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Definitely sounds like the door bushings. I bet your door sill has wear from the door rubbing it when opening and closing. Seems pretty much all GM two doors have this issue eventually because the doors are so long and heavy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is this something where the door will need to be removed off the car?
I have not done that before.
But I am always willing to learn.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
it's been a while since I changed some of them but I don't remember having to remove the door as long as you have something to hold the door up like a jack or a milkcrate or something. Not fun to do but not too bad either.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
79aznova--It's been about 9 years but I did remove the doors to replace the bushings and hinge pins. On my driver's door, The one bushing had also worn the hole in the hinge out of round so even with a new bushing the door wasn't going to work right because the whole bushing would move around. I had to use a round file to make the hole in the hinge round again and then get an over-sized bushing that would fit in the bigger hole. Fortunately I found the over-sized bushing at Advance Auto! I found it very helpful to do this job with another person because the doors are heavy.

While I had the doors off I painted the door jambs the color I was going to later paint the car. I also installed new weather stripping at this time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
79aznova--It's been about 9 years but I did remove the doors to replace the bushings and hinge pins. On my driver's door, The one bushing had also worn the hole in the hinge out of round so even with a new bushing the door wasn't going to work right because the whole bushing would move around. I had to use a round file to make the hole in the hinge round again and then get an over-sized bushing that would fit in the bigger hole. Fortunately I found the over-sized bushing at Advance Auto! I found it very helpful to do this job with another person because the doors are heavy.

While I had the doors off I painted the door jambs the color I was going to later paint the car. I also installed new weather stripping at this time.
so where did you score the weather striping? and how much was it?

so far all I have found is really expensive or out of stock.

I gotta get some pics up.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Good places to shop are ebay, tamraz.com, classic industries, chevy II only, ss396.com,,rockauto.com ,etc Here is one example of weatherstripping... You may be able to find a better price...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you guys are on top of it like blue bonnet! thanks

I am headed out to a salvage yard to get the driver side glass today.
I will also take some pics of my ride. I have not had it registered since 05. still playin around with the carb. trying to get it to pass emmisions. I would like to install wideband o2 sensors and a gauge to be able to tune myself. eventually. eventually '

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
you sure don't find an old door to get glass from here in michigan. maybe find a car 15 years old but thats about it. what a score on the glass.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so to get the window track out. i will have to remove some rivets that hold it in place, along with some bolts. question is. what do i use to get it back together?
small nuts and bolts with locktite?
right behind is not much room, the crank with the teeth is there. going up and down. so clearance is minimal.
i like to have a plan before going in, rather then not being able to get it back once everything is apart.
i also would like to replace those rollers in the chanel while i have it out.
one thing at a time

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
As I recall, I replaced rivet(s) with small nuts and bolts. Loctite sounds like a good idea.In my case I needed to replace the window regulator. I didn't need to replace the rollers but did lube them so they worked smoothly. Nice looking Nova!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you KR. She still needs some TLC.
I'm just happy she is on the road again.
I was trying to get the pic in my avatar like yours. But could not figure it out.
By the way. I have read your thread a few times already. Great info there.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,758 Posts
79az . .. . . . hey there . . . . (Mesa, AZ . . . . good job ). FYI = your "avatar picture" - - - - top right side ; by the
"three dots" - - click on the pink - 7 - - go down , (Account Settings) - you'll see the spot says , "Avatar" . . . . .
get the picture you want too show , and place it there . . . done !

and, WELCOME to SNS - good Arizona color for your 79, too . (those doors ARE Heavy = mostly because they have that "side - impact - bar" inside the door ) . Some said you may use a floor-jack or milk crate ……….. also , look at maybe using a "(strap , hanging from overhead (somewhere) too help support your
weight of u'r door . . . and consider doing one set of door bushings at a time . . . . . just an idea , (unless more work is 'required' ) . May work ; but 'tight fit' , or just remove said door , u'r choice .
later , jim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts