Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for information on how the glass is secured into the bottom channel. When I roll the window down with the door closed the glass remains up, but when I open the door it falls. I would like to know what I’m looking for before removing the interior door panel to fix it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The only door glass I’m familiar with was sandwiched in a piece of rubber to hold it in the bottom channel. Others will chime in.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The tape comes in various thicknesses too.

From the symptoms the OP posted, there could be other things wrong. If the glass is loose, it's not going to find it's way into the bottom of the channel every time, so when that happens it's a new situation.

The only way to know is to remove the upholstery panel and the access panel and have a look.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply’s. I will pull the interior panel to see what’s going on. I just want to be able to fix it while I’m in there. I’ve had the panel off before and it’s tough getting it back on.

·
Registered
248 Posts
To put the glass back in that channel you need to remove it from the door. Not saying you can't do it in the door but it will be a lot harder to get it done correctly.

·
Registered
246 Posts
It may be worth it to take the glass and channel to a glass shop and have them install it. Most glass shops have a channel driving tool that slips into the roller channel so the channel can be driven on with a mallet. I've seen several roller channels distorted by owners driving the channel on without the proper tool and/or right tape thickness causing the rollers to bind. Some shops skip the tape, clean the glass and channel and glue it on with polyurethane windshield adhesive.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is an update on my loose drivers door window. I removed the interior panel to access the window channel. The original adhesive had given up. I removed the window through the top. Cleaned the channel of old brittle adhesive then applied urethane window adhesive “as recommended by a local auto glass company”. Then replaced the glass making sure it lined up with the vent window channel.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts