Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are drive shafts the same length for 6 and 8 cylinders? I ask cause I am replacing my rear leafs and the drive shaft is way too far out of the trans. As I have measured the leafs and the dimensions are the same I am thinking that maybe the length is different and when the PO swapped motors he didn't bother with the drive shaft. Photo below to illustrate how far out it is.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
322 Posts
I believe there is no diff in length between a BB and SB. The diff comes in between the 8.5 10 bolt and 8.2, 8.875 12 bolt. The 8.5 10 bolt drive shaft is 51 3/4 u-joint C/L to U-joint C/L. The 8.2 10 bolt drive shaft 8.875 12bolt drive shaft is 52 1/2 in length. The pinion gear in the 8.5 10 bolt rear end is 3/4 inch longer, requiring a shorter shaft. Measure yours and figure it out from there. :yes:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe there is no diff in length between a BB and SB. The diff comes in between the 8.5 10 bolt and 8.2, 8.875 12 bolt. The 8.5 10 bolt drive shaft is 51 3/4 u-joint C/L to U-joint C/L. The 8.2 10 bolt drive shaft 8.875 12bolt drive shaft is 52 1/2 in length. The pinion gear in the 8.5 10 bolt rear end is 3/4 inch longer, requiring a shorter shaft. Measure yours and figure it out from there. :yes:
That makes sense, but my drive shaft looks like it is about 2-3" to short. I think that maybe with the 6 cylinder block being longer that it used a shorter drive shaft. my car was originally a 6 and i think the rearend and drive shaft are original. the tranny is a TH350 (not sure if original) and the block is a 307, think out of a 72-73 truck. I am going to measure my drive shaft and see the length, but I may go as far as to re install the original leafs and see if it still is that far out. Man, i love project cars:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
It is also possible that the car had an overdrive tranny (700R4) at one time which would require a short drive shaft.. lots of different things will affect the length of the drive shaft - rear end / tranny / susension mods etc etc etc..

the easiest way is to pick-up a new shaft - are you doing any other changes that might also affect this... best to plan ahead..

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is also possible that the car had an overdrive tranny (700R4) at one time which would require a short drive shaft.. lots of different things will affect the length of the drive shaft - rear end / tranny / susension mods etc etc etc..

the easiest way is to pick-up a new shaft - are you doing any other changes that might also affect this... best to plan ahead..
That is what I am afraid of, but there is a local shop I used back when I had my Duster, maybe they will give me a discount.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts