Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been doing some trial fitting of my stainless that goes over the side windows and when I put the wide front drip rail stainless on it stood off from the "A" pillar about 3/8".

The piece in the photo is one that I picked up from another Nova a few years back and decided to use those pieces rather than the ones that came from my car. So, I looked at that gap on my original stainless pieces and that gap had been painted black. I'm thinking it was done when my car was painted black before I bought it.

The second photos is the original piece that actually came off the car when I started taking it apart. You can see where the gap was painted.

Question: Was that gap normally painted body color or was it filled in with a thick sealer and maybe then painted. I can't find any closeup photos of others cars in that area to see how the gap was treated.

This seems to be a major issue if it was suppose to be filled in and painted body color as my car has already been painted. Help. :yes:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,844 Posts
Installed after the paint had been applied at the factory. A lot of names for that sticky stuff: dum dum, body sealer, *&%*$!, and others. I don't think the alignment of your trim is off too much, and the body putty is supposed to seal between the stainless flat flange and the A-pillar. But the putty isn't supposed to fill that whole area between the outer edge of the trim and the red of the a-pillar.

On wagons, I know, there is the same filler in the whole rain gutter around the car, and it was painted, then the stainless trim was installed, but that trim is installed over a steel rain gutter that's already in the body. These A-pillar trims are removable and stainless.

Fit and finish of the '60's wasn't the greatest.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
My 64 has been repainted and the channel has blue paint in it. I would leave the channel alone and intall it without the paint if it were mine and starting from scratch as you are.. If and when you repaint in the future you can cross that bridge whether to remove the trim pieces or mask off the face and paint the channel..

Attachments

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
i went out to the garage to look how mine was installed on a 66 hardtop, i see yours is a 65. mine is unpainted. with a 5/16'' gape at the top an close to like an 1/8'' at the bottom. an i can see some kind of chalk at the top 1 1/2'' on both sides. i would think the chalk goes all the way down just that its pushed out at the top area. if i was repainting the car i'd still leave them unpainted.

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Great, that makes me feel better. Since my car had been sandblasted, I feared there was some body filler along the A pillar in that area and had been blasted away which caused that gap. Looking at the trim in the second photo you can see the dum-dum sealer was applied all along the trim but didn't extend out beyond the A pillar area. Right at the top where the trim curves there is a large amount of exposed dum-dum that goes down that opening starting at the end of the body roof drip rail and extends down that gap about one inch or so. That was indicating to me that the dum-dum stopped at that point. I guess the major thing that was bothering me was that the area from that dum-dum down to the bottom was painted and mine isn't.

I have a small amount of the red base coat that I could put in that gap if I decide it should be painted and maybe buy some clear coat to spray over it. To me the gap looks odd but I'll just leave it like it is. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts