Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the drip rail moulding with a can opener. Worked great. Now I have to reinstall it. Any tricks/tips/pointers?
jeff

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Darn!, Now why didn't I think of that?:eek:

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Use a can closer. Duh...
:devil:
Funny as all get out..

Geeze, I dont know. Good question. The trim has got to have been sprung from removing it. Im thinking it should snap back in with some guided movements but then its gonna be a lil loose for fit after spreading out. Might need some additional tapping afterwards, and maybe not being as long as it is, it might put pressure on the rail just because its so long. Kinda like its working against itself.

If its a lil loose in some areas I would make a wood wedge. with a sharp edge, say a 1/16" radius and go in behind the trim ( at the top) to tap it firmly against the drip rail. Specially where you pried it off to begin with..

Just trim work really. Tap her tight (umm, dont use metal, a nice hardwood wedge should work) and it should be fine.. JR

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
As long as it doesn't get bent or twisted when removed., you should be able to "pop" it back on with just the palm of your hand......:yes:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guess I'll give the "pop it back on" a try. It is fitting real tight so I didn't want to put any dents in it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Any chance you can post back how you made out with this? I'm curious to know. I'm at the point of sanding the car now, and I was considering leaving mine on.

How did you get it all off? With a spackle knife?

Thanks

DW.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bottle opener

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
I usually snap them back on with the palms of my hands
^^^^ :yes::yes::yes:

I just put them on my '63. Place them over the top of the rail first and then pull them down as far as you can so that the lip of the roof rail fits as far into the molding as possible, then a gentle bump of the palm was all that was needed.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Any chance you can post back how you made out with this? I'm curious to know. I'm at the point of sanding the car now, and I was considering leaving mine on.

How did you get it all off? With a spackle knife?

Thanks

DW.
There was a post not too long ago about taking the drip moulding off and 2 good suggestions came from it which I tried recently; both worked well.

1. as this post stated; wrap electrical tape around a bottle opener and use that.

2. using a wooden paint stir stick; place the stir stick on the underside of the trim and tap with a rubber mallet to pry loose

Both suggestions worked well; but both still require patience so you don't ruin the trim. I switched back and forth as once I got the the pillars between the front and back door; the paint stick method didn't work.

I'd also be interested in seeing pics of how you "popped" them back in place.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Thanks for the reply Surfwagon,

Me too, I'd like to see some pics if anyone has any. Also, I posted about removing the molding around the cargo windows... not that I want a dual thread, but so far, no one has answered.

I've asked my Brother-in-law, who's dad has removed them on his to be painted. If I get a good answer, I'll post it in my own thread, but it might be a few days. All I remember him saying is that you have to be delicate... jeeze.. an old car and delicate are two different things. :D

DW.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the reply Surfwagon,

Me too, I'd like to see some pics if anyone has any. Also, I posted about removing the molding around the cargo windows... not that I want a dual thread, but so far, no one has answered.

I've asked my Brother-in-law, who's dad has removed them on his to be painted. If I get a good answer, I'll post it in my own thread, but it might be a few days. All I remember him saying is that you have to be delicate... jeeze.. an old car and delicate are two different things. :D

DW.
Here is the OP. I used a bottle opener. Worked great.
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109070

1 - 14 of 14 Posts