Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a long time since I bought anything for my 71. Well, I finally want to do the body and paint on it while the drivetrain is a part for a freshen up. When I put the car together, probably about 10-12 years ago, I bought repro drip rail molding. It didn't fit very well, and that's being extremely polite about it. What I was wondering is, has this issue ever been addressed by the repro companies? If I buy new today will it fit any better than it did back then? Or should I just try and use the second set I already have from back then?

·
Vendor
1,784 Posts
If you have original GM that can be cleaned up, always use that. Some of this repop trim has gotten better, but still not comparable to original GM. Stuff tends to be thin and contours not perfect. Pieces like the front and rear window stainless remain pretty poor.

Another issue to be aware of that rarely gets mentioned - just because it is advertised as new, does not mean it is current stock. What I mean by that is, you could be buying repop pieces that were manufactured 10 - 20 years ago and have been sitting on a shelf. Happens more than people realize, especially on eBay and with internet sellers. I would not worry about Classic Industries and the reputable Nova retailers though.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I would of bought originals years ago if people didnt think they were made out of gold.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
What I was wondering is, has this issue ever been addressed by the repro companies? If I buy new today will it fit any better than it did back then? Or should I just try and use the second set I already have from back then?
I bought the whole kit from Muscle Car Central. Just installed it recently and the fit was terrible! It was a real pain to put on. It will NOT fit together right about the wing window because they don't notch it correctly. I was disappointed to say the least but I'd already read on here it's wasn't going to be easy.

So, to answer your questions... at least for mine, it's hasn't gotten "better" than you described in your post.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts