Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got curious and went to the shop to check the alignment of my drip rail molding. The first photo shows the rear piece aligned at the top at the height where it will slip under the top molding. The second shows how far down it came on the B column. It appears to stick down approximately 1 inch off of the body drip rail. Seems to look like the molding is just sticking out off the end with no support. Is this normal?

Please disregard the paint as there was some dust from the shop settled overnight. I forgot to put my cover back on. Gotta clean that up tomorrow.
DSCN0495.JPG
DSCN0494.JPG

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, I have a 63 2 door sedan ( postie ) with the Stainless drip rails. One long piece from front to back and a second piece on the A pillar. I know my long piece is correct as it locates to the forward edge of the cars drip rail. The one long piece hangs of the back end like yours shows on both sides of mine. Must be normal I guess. Hope this helps. Have a great day. .

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not familiar with the drip rail molding on a sedan. So, you're saying the sedan drip rail molding is comprised of only two pieces? My hardtop has three pieces. The very front large piece on the A pillar, a long piece that goes along the top to the B pillar and then the third piece slips underneath the top piece and runs down the front of the B pillar. To be honest I don't remember ever seeing a sedan with drip rail trim but over the years I've not attended a lot of car shows. I took a few photos of the original drip rail trim but for some reason I neglected to take a photo of the very bottom of the short B column piece. As shown in my last photo, the overhang just looks odd that the molding would have extended down that 1". Sure would be nice to see how others drip rail trim is installed.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Here's a couple pics I have. One is original one is the aftermarket I put on,both hang over and are even with the seal off roof and quarter from side view.
20140703_184532.jpg
20200216_180515.jpg
20200216_180510.jpg
20200216_180510.jpg

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the photos. Well, I guess GM let the molding hang over for a purpose but I can't think of what it could have been. I have a couple of other questions if you don't mind. When you installed your molding did you install the B pillar first and then the long top trip second? It looks like the B pillar would have to be installed first but I just want to make sure. If the B pillar was first how did you align it so it would be in position to go under the top molding? Thanks

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand. It seems these moldings give a lot of trouble when installing them. Maybe someone that has installed them recently will chime in. Or......maybe someone that has them installed, can measure from the lower tip of the B pillar molding up to the metal drip rail metal on the body. That should give me a better estimate of where to position the B pillar molding when installing it. I'm just trying to make this as simple as possible and not have to remove and reinstall them more than the first time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts