Chevy Nova Forum banner

161 - 180 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Ramp, IDK the title. Ill post that up next week. The books are at home I am not. Its the standard GM two book set, book one has all the drawings and refs to section/group numbers, as shown above with the steering column and book two has the actual PNs for the group numbers, as above with the PNS. This is before computers, so they had to find other ways to make things difficult. Very Similar to Detroit diesel parts books if that's any help.

·
Registered
810 Posts
If anyone is interested, I just found this lower steering column support bracket at Summit Racing.

On the OER website, it shows this part is listed for a 1969 Camaro... but maybe it will work on raising the steering column on a 73/74 Nova (for those that have installed an aftermarket dash bezel). The OER part looks similar to the 69-72 Nova steering column support bracket.

·
Registered
210 Posts
It’s weird, to find these for Camaro and other models seems to be easy but for a nova seems tough. I’m
Looking at used ones on eBay and the 76 nova looks shallower that that oer bracket. The width between the studs in the dash should be universal along with the bolt patterns on the column as they recycled a lot of parts between models. I think cutting and welding the deep bracket would work for sure, I also think the general dimensions between the picture of the pics from summit racing oer and this eBay pic are the same except the depth of the bracket. I would bet a 76 bracket would work just right. Just my 2 cents. Using the Camaro dash I don’t have any experience with the nova brackets but I think it would work. View attachment 399582

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts
I do still have the column and bracket off my old column, I will check it out when I get home. Maybe I’ll have what you need? But I doubt it will be a shallow bracket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Someone needs to do some recon on a 68-72 dash frame assembly to see how it compares to your 73-74 dash structures.. I know a guy who might be able to get some information from his 70..

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Well I know for sure the 69 camaro studs fit perfectly into the nova column support brackets, mine went right in. I took about 40 measurements before I ever started cutting on my cowl area/dash to make sure it would be at least close and it was all super close, never thought about checking stud length though. But all the wire hangers inside and center support and everything has been identical, only difference I've found at all is the big hole on the inside of each end, I'm assuming they are for heat/air on the camaro but not sure.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
I'll take a bunch of measurements on mine and see if I can compare to others

·
Registered
846 Posts
If anyone is interested, I just found this lower steering column support bracket at Summit Racing.

On the OER website, it shows this part is listed for a 1969 Camaro... but maybe it will work on raising the steering column on a 73/74 Nova (for those that have installed an aftermarket dash bezel). The OER part looks similar to the 69-72 Nova steering column support bracket.
Did you notice my comment/ question on Summit? LOL yeah we are all getting the same search results. I made the comment because summit didn't list fitment so I looked it up on OER, just like you did.
I may just order the bracket, But gotta get up to 99 bucks for free shipping! HAHA

·
Registered
810 Posts
Did you notice my comment/ question on Summit?
I may just order the bracket, But gotta get up to 99 bucks for free shipping! HAHA
I may have missed that post... sorry. If you do get the OER bracket from Summit, please keep us posted on the results.
P.S... There is always something "extra" needed when ordering parts from Summit to get to the $99 threshold 😀

·
Registered
846 Posts
SS396 appears to have the item as well, different supplier. 5 bucks cheaper!
Ill be ordering one soon, from someone, whoever has the best price/ sale /free shipping this week. If it doesn't fit...Ill make it fit. LOL
Yesterday i removed the 4 bolts that hold the steering column in place and raised the column up flush with the dash molding! no interferences or stress on the ignition switch. It went up in the grove of the bracket above it
Interestingly, the four bolts are bronze, or appear to be... IDK why.
Spent time fitting in floor pan......almost ready to tack in.....Ill post that in my 73 hatchback thread.

home today will post pics of manuals etc tomorrow

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Stayed home sick today, cold sweats and hardly enough strength to stand up no clue what's going on. But I cant just lay down all day so I did a little bit more rust repair on the front. My new motto for this car is "when in doubt, cut it out"
Glad I decided to, it definitely would've ended up rotting through down the road. I was just going to do a tiny like 1" x 1" patch but it looked iffy so I said screw it I'm not taking chances and bam, lots of rust inside.
I know I've went back and forth on this but 100% for sure once nicer weather comes I will be having it media blasted, just to much hidden rust I'm finding It must be done. But I'll wait for nicer weather so soon as it's done i can clean, wipe down and prime. I'll epoxy the whole interior and a few other hidden spots and then high build the body. That way I can really take my time with the rest of the body work. And that'll give me time to clean the other bay and build a little make shift both lol

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
SS396 appears to have the item as well, different supplier. 5 bucks cheaper!
Ill be ordering one soon, from someone, whoever has the best price/ sale /free shipping this week. If it doesn't fit...Ill make it fit. LOL
Yesterday i removed the 4 bolts that hold the steering column in place and raised the column up flush with the dash molding! no interferences or stress on the ignition switch. It went up in the grove of the bracket above it
Interestingly, the four bolts are bronze, or appear to be... IDK why.
Spent time fitting in floor pan......almost ready to tack in.....Ill post that in my 73 hatchback thread.

home today will post pics of manuals etc tomorrow
Not to do with this part but I was curious so I measured my factory studs (that come down off the cowl for the steering column support) against my 69 camaro/ 68-72 nova ones and they are identical, same total length, same thread length, same everything

·
Registered
846 Posts
So here's the steering wheel as is and with the 4 bolts out of the column and raised up. This will be real nice when the new bracket is in, both in looks and function. . Ramp, I think if you have your original dash and want to use it ( like Rif-Raf) then you will most likely want to use the original bracket. If so, hopefully the tilt will make it comfortable for you. Hope you get over being sick. Ill post up when complete.

From your pictures above Good use of them HF floor mats, I took all the good will pillows from the house for the same use. I suspect mine are a bit more flammable...perhaps I will find out soon.
Also agree..rust
IMG-1796.jpg
IMG-1795.jpg
t.. when in doubt cut it out... I blew so many holes in my floor trying to make a smaller patch...

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
So here's the steering wheel as is and with the 4 bolts out of the column and raised up. This will be real nice when the new bracket is in, both in looks and function. . Ramp, I think if you have your original dash and want to use it ( like Rif-Raf) then you will most likely want to use the original bracket. If so, hopefully the tilt will make it comfortable for you. Hope you get over being sick. Ill post up when complete.

From your pictures above Good use of them HF floor mats, I took all the good will pillows from the house for the same use. I suspect mine are a bit more flammable...perhaps I will find out soon.
Also agree..rust View attachment 399708 View attachment 399709 t.. when in doubt cut it out... I blew so many holes in my floor trying to make a smaller patch...
Dang those manuals are cool, I've never seen those before.
I will not be using the factory cluster so even with the tilt I imagine I'll still want to raise it up even if it's just a hair, I doubt the tilt goes up that high to fill that gap and hit. Yours raised up like that looks much better and I'm sure way more comfortable for a taller guy

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
O and yes, the mats work very very well for that purpose lol I keep a couple of them in and around the car at all times

·
Registered
846 Posts
I got the manuals from a retired GM mechanic, he had 2 sets.
When I got the car the dash was already in it and I wondered why there was such a gap. I found that it, like a lot of items are for the 68-72 only . .... so I started researching, and found among other things, tarantula's thread. Along the way I learned most of the differences between the 68-72 and 73, and 74 s. Motor mounts, gas tank, front and rear bumpers, rear windows.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Yeah I have already purchased multiple items that are for "68-72" novas, but fit the exact same for 73/4. I think they do that because the 73 and 74 aren't as "cool" to most people or as collectable or whatever (which I will never ever ever understand why.) Obviously some stuff is not interchangeable without a lot of work, but the vast majority fits perfectly even though it says 68-72

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
My cowl assembly is prime example. Sold as 69 camaro, 68-72 nova. Yet every single measurement is identical to my 73

161 - 180 of 182 Posts