Chevy Nova Forum banner

141 - 160 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Got a lot more work before this goes in but so far I'm pleased.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Hey man, just a thought here, something caught my eye in the pictures you posted. You might want to look into the dimension/ angle that your steering wheel will be. Unless you are going to tilt steering, I think your wheel will be 1.5-2" lower than you would like: 73-74 Nova's the bars that the column mount to, as seen in the bottom picture. are the issue. You may have already addressed this with your replacement pieces, but the bottom threaded studs that the column bolts to in the picture look original. I figured this out as my 73 has aftermarket dash that "fits 68-74" however there is big gap above the steering wheel/dash. Also my legs hit the steering wheel at entry /exit.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Hey man, just a thought here, something caught my eye in the pictures you posted. You might want to look into the dimension/ angle that your steering wheel will be. Unless you are going to tilt steering, I think your wheel will be 1.5-2" lower than you would like: 73-74 Nova's the bars that the column mount to, as seen in the bottom picture. are the issue. You may have already addressed this with your replacement pieces, but the bottom threaded studs that the column bolts to in the picture look original. I figured this out as my 73 has aftermarket dash that "fits 68-74" however there is big gap above the steering wheel/dash. Also my legs hit the steering wheel at entry /exit.
Hope this helps.
I am going to do a tilt steering, but I'm glad you brought this up because I remember driving it and yeah it definitely was low for me I'm 6'1" (shrinking from 6'2 lol.) This is a 69 Camaro cowl which is exact same minus two air openings on the inside I have to close, but it did say 68-72 nova which I figured was the same as 73/4 because all measurements looked identical, except I never thought about those threaded studs. I will measure my factory ones and compare to my new ones and see. Thanks for the tip!
Worst case scenario I can cut a chunk out of each and weld the threaded ends back on, I'd assume that would work

·
Registered
846 Posts
Taranchula posted about this somewhere in his build thread. He raised his 1.5" as I recall. might want to use the search function as well. I'm sure there is an interference or some other consideration. Also be sure to document what you do , step by step so I can copy your work later!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Taranchula posted about this somewhere in his build thread. He raised his 1.5" as I recall. might want to use the search function as well. I'm sure there is an interference or some other consideration. Also be sure to document what you do , step by step so I can copy your work later!
Definitely will do, I have pretty much everything I'm doing documented just for my own reference lol but always glad to share or help anywhere I can. I follow his stuff on youtube I'll try to search in his thread for it, thanks man, Glad you brought this to my attention!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Tarantula posted about this somewhere in his build thread. He raised his 1.5" as I recall.
I also remember reading about Tarantula raising the steering column in his 74 Nova to fill the gap in his reproduction dash bezel... as I was also considering doing this at some point in the future.
Below is a link to the discussion.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
I also remember reading about Tarantula raising the steering column in his 74 Nova to fill the gap in his reproduction dash bezel... as I was also considering doing this at some point in the future.
Below is a link to the discussion.
Thanks man I appreciate the link, I will definitely read through it and see if I think I need to do this or not, I'll measure these ones vs my factory ones and see where I'm at.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Thanks again for bringing this to my attention because i would have not even thought about it and now would be a great time to look into this!

·
Registered
846 Posts
SO..... I'm thinking.... Can I/we just simply cut 1" out of the bracket ( as seen in trantula's thread, THANKS RIF RAF) and weld it up?
G S upholstery (2).JPG

Here's my aftermarket dash, and why I want to raise the steering wheel. See the gap? Another example of why a lot of parts note 68-72 only. Many can be adapted to fit.
I'm NOT overly concerned with the rag joint angle: 1-2" 30 inches away is only 2-4 deg.

I'm 5-6", in the morning, and I hit my legs when I get in/out of the car.

what do you guys think?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Hey Rif, drive on down, we will do yours first, to work out any problems, then, if it works out we can do mine...LOL!
saw zaw and welder plugged in, heats on, and fridge stocked.

·
Registered
810 Posts
SO..... I'm thinking.... Can I/we just simply cut 1" out of the bracket and weld it up?
Hey Rif, drive on down, we will do yours first, to work out any problems, then, if it works out we can do mine...LOL!
saw zaw and welder plugged in, heats on, and fridge stocked.
Rupertflood, Thanks for the "generous" offer 🛠🕯🧯😲... LOL! But I still have my original dash bezel and gauges installed in the Nova (no steering column to dash bezel gap). Everything on my stock dash still works as it should, so I haven't prioritized this upgrade on my "to do" list yet.
I do like the look of your gauge cluster set-up... a lot more sportier than stock.

·
Registered
210 Posts
SO..... I'm thinking.... Can I/we just simply cut 1" out of the bracket ( as seen in trantula's thread, THANKS RIF RAF) and weld it up? View attachment 399527
Here's my aftermarket dash, and why I want to raise the steering wheel. See the gap? Another example of why a lot of parts note 68-72 only. Many can be adapted to fit.
I'm NOT overly concerned with the rag joint angle: 1-2" 30 inches away is only 2-4 deg.

I'm 5-6", in the morning, and I hit my legs when I get in/out of the car.

what do you guys think?
I like that cluster! Looks great. Get that gap right and give yourself some
More room....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
846 Posts
OK I'm on it. I'm going home and look to see if its a simple as I think, just cut and weld the bottom bracket, OR if the top bracket needs to be altered, and If there are interferences. I was just poking around the internet and cant find the bracket ( searching for a 72 nova) in the aftermarket, But some "look " the same. I now remember asking Tranchula for a PN and he looked but did not have it/ could not recall where he got it. The PN in the ref thread is for the bottom plastic cover.I am going to look in my parts book and see, should have both (1972 and 1973/74) PNs tomorrow.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I like that cluster! Looks great. Get that gap right and give yourself some
More room....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks man! that, new paint on the dash, new dash pad and new windshield and ................................... getting there
I just got all the gauge lights working. I am adding a high beam and blinker indicaters as well.

·
Registered
210 Posts
OK I'm on it. I'm going home and look to see if its a simple as I think, just cut and weld the bottom bracket, OR if the top bracket needs to be altered, and If there are interferences. I was just poking around the internet and cant find the bracket ( searching for a 72 nova) in the aftermarket, But some "look " the same. I now remember asking Tranchula for a PN and he looked but did not have it/ could not recall where he got it. The PN in the ref thread is for the bottom plastic cover.I am going to look in my parts book and see, should have both (1972 and 1973/74) PNs tomorrow.
I don’t think there will be any interference. From what I learned, the brackets that go from the dash to the firewall that holds the pedals are the same from 68-74 and 69 Camaro. I could be wrong but I don’t think so. I would say it’s only the column bracket that’s different. When I converted my dash to a 67 Camaro dash I had to replace the brake pedal bracket and the rods that go through the dash and bolt up the column. The body and general dimensions of these cars seem to be all the same, just the little odds and ends are different. The Camaro dash looks factory in it with no interference issues at all. The only thing I have to figure out is the a pillar covers and how they are going to meet up to the dash. I’m not sure if I need to buy Nova pillars and modify them to fit the dash or Camaro pillars and modify where they meet the roof.... 1st world issues....

·
Registered
846 Posts
74LSNOVA, RAMportin1 I found the pedal bracket at classic industries, PN 3950064
Notes there say fits 69 camaro/ firebird, 69-74 Nova and 71-74 Ventura
I looked above my steering wheel last night, and there appears to be enough room. The Ignition switch is mounted on top of my column, but I think It will fit up in in the grove of the bracket. I have concerns that the wires from the switch will then be pinched and the bend angle as they go up and over the bracket will be extreme. they are 47 years old. Maybe this is part of the reason why they lowered the column? I plan on removing the column bracket, and then pushing the column up and see how much metal I can take out of the bracket. Should I take a bit to much I can add washers or spacers.
I looked thru my parts book...dam the lower bracket is not singled out, by PN for our needs.
I recently installed new Body bushings in the correct order and this raised the body 1", which did raise the wheel up a bit. As that dimension is now correct I should be good to go.
here's some pics form my parts manual as it may help:
[TRIGGER_ATTACHMENT][/TRIGGER_ATTACHMENT]

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
74LSNOVA, RAMportin1 I found the pedal bracket at classic industries, PN 3950064
Notes there say fits 69 camaro/ firebird, 69-74 Nova and 71-74 Ventura
I looked above my steering wheel last night, and there appears to be enough room. The Ignition switch is mounted on top of my column, but I think It will fit up in in the grove of the bracket. I have concerns that the wires from the switch will then be pinched and the bend angle as they go up and over the bracket will be extreme. they are 47 years old. Maybe this is part of the reason why they lowered the column? I plan on removing the column bracket, and then pushing the column up and see how much metal I can take out of the bracket. Should I take a bit to much I can add washers or spacers.
I looked thru my parts book...dam the lower bracket is not singled out, by PN for our needs.
I recently installed new Body bushings in the correct order and this raised the body 1", which did raise the wheel up a bit. As that dimension is now correct I should be good to go.
here's some pics form my parts manual as it may help:
Yeah I'm going to compare the both of mine and see, I'm curious now with my replacement piece being 69 camaro and 68-72 nova is all it states. But I've came to realize most are leaving out 73/4 even when the piece is the same

·
Registered
846 Posts
Here's some pics, note the box I drew on the left is the year/model, and just for haha's the box on the right is the price from 1983. I believe there is a mistake here, as it lists 71-75 pass., (and) 73-75 Chevelle. I think pass means all others not identified separately. the 73/74 nova isn't broken out separately.
IMG-1785.jpg

·
Registered
846 Posts
Here's the diagram from book 1, which leads to section 6.760 in the post above.
sorry I posted this in inverse order.
IMG-1779.jpg
This is the only diagram I could find.

141 - 160 of 182 Posts