712 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
Seriously, I pull one piece off just to find more thats in bad shape

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,487 Posts
But just think about how your Nova is going to last for many future generations once you have completed all of the restoration work.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #266
But just think about how your Nova is going to last for many future generations once you have completed all of the restoration work.
Yes! Thats the way I keep trying to look at it, I can pass this baby down to my kids and hopefully keep it going down the generations.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
Well in you cars defense, mine had a front and rear window leak (for an apparent long time) which im sure contributed to the amount of rust here for me. But yeah you are right I have already found parts of the inner car/panels that were left bare it seems which is mind blowing I had to replace that top panel that I cut it had large rot holes all through it, but wow I was not expecting to find that underneath

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
Another concealed section with no apparent rust preventative from the factory? That makes me a little nervous because I don’t think I have looked inside that section of my car yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok you were right, upon further inspection the inside of mine at least was left bare metal going to have to fab a pretty large section of that at least where it bends, rust is real thick. I need a good sheet metal brake

·
Registered
401 Posts
Ok you were right, upon further inspection the inside of mine at least was left bare metal going to have to fab a pretty large section of that at least where it bends, rust is real thick. I need a good sheet metal brake

I looked through the access holes of mine today with a flashlight...lots of surface rust in there. It’s inside my sail panels too. Mine was totally untreated, bare metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #271
After more destruction its looking a little better, most of it appears to be heavy surface rust but still solid. I tapped some spots with my chisel hammer and was solid so thats good news. Man thats ugly though

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #272
The bottom side of that upper trunk cove is definitely bare metal on mine

·
Registered
878 Posts
We celebrate these cars and put our blood and wallet into refurbing them but let's face it, these cars were crap.
And, for those of you old enough to remember, this is the era where the Japanese walked right thru Detroit's open door.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
We celebrate these cars and put our blood and wallet into refurbing them but let's face it, these cars were crap.
And, for those of you old enough to remember, this is the era where the Japanese walked right thru Detroit's open door.
I'm only 33, but ever since I was about 10 the nova was my dream car. Grew up mopar or no car haha mom had a 70 Cuda 440 mag that was beautiful, we all wish she didn't have to sell it to make ends meet but life happens. I had super chevy pictures of novas on my binder going to school and knew one day I will have one, but don't want one done to somebody else's tastes and standards. This car is a big project that will take a long time, but when its finished it will be my dream come true.
I remember my mom telling me the story of her back in the day racing and the only car around that could hang with her was her friends (Rick willy) 67 nova and him and her were basically the grudge match of today.
Anyway, there's just no cars like old school American muscle.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Ramp, you musta had the coolest Mom on the planet (mine drove four-door Buicks) but the reality is your Nova will be exponentially better than when it came off the showroom floor. Your efforts/skill will make it so.
It's awesome that you have that passion.

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,028 Posts
My next door neighbors moms Grocery getter was 69ish road runner. Had the cable operated hood scoop and the road runner horn.
My mom bought a 73 SS nova hatchback with a 350 TH350 floor console as a grocery getter. She didn't like it, it spun the tires to much in the snow….in Maine....LOL. Open dif. My older brother bought it from her, had it painted, heads reworked, smog delete, headers into side pipes, air shocks, Crager wheels (which I have) , 60's on the back, 70s on the front. Man would that car fly and hold onto the road. He was going to convert it to a 4 speed. He totaled it 2 weeks before leaving for the Marine Corps, In 1980. He was always sayin he was going to build another Nova, but he was taken from us in 1990.
Today I have a 1973 hatchback nova ( custom), which has a 350 in it and has ben converted to a 4 speed. I stumbled across it here in Maryland and oddly enough it came from Maine, 20miles from my home town.
I hope to have it on the road relatively soon, then continue to do projects on it.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #279
Not much further. Just got that upper trunk cove fully removed and cleaned up, mocked up the replacement panel just to see how its going to fit and its not bad. Just got my shop cleared out finally last weekend. Thats about it. I have tk do some work on the truck next weekend but hopefully have some time after that

261 - 280 of 341 Posts