Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have the dreaded electrical problem.
I have a 63 Chevy II V-8 - stock electrical system.
1st problem.. blew fuse to rear lights when turned headlights on.Also dash light fuse .

2nd - with ONLY parking lights on... I get a sizzle sound from the switch AND from the GROUND on the front passenger side directional.

3rd - left turn signal, front ok -- BOTH rear lights blink. Right turn, must "play" with signal lever for dash light to come on to make Rt sig. work
With brake lights AND headlights on ... no change in problem.

replaced fuse w/slightly stronger fuse - better ground at rear light - replaced rear bulbs - replaced headlight switch, dimmer switch & flasher. Ck'd for frayed wires..so far none.
EVERYTHING else works :eek: - Help & Thanks....

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Turn signal switch

you might want to replace your turn signal switch everything goes through
that switch!! if something is broken or burned up inside switch you will have
all kinds trouble!!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Also, that switch is also the multi-plug connector halfway down the steering column. I believe it's a triangle shape. It's also adjustable by sliding forward and backward...

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
:(Electrical gremlins are the worst. I had a similar problem once. It turned out to be the hot wire to the rear lights intermittantly shorting out to ground. Blew the fuse every time it did. Hope you get it figured out quickly.

·
Registered
789 Posts
wires

Had a very imular problem, and found a damaged/shorted wire in the rear harness. I would also look into the turn signal switch, and the ground to the insturment panel.

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
Also, that switch is also the multi-plug connector halfway down the steering column. I believe it's a triangle shape. It's also adjustable by sliding forward and backward...
^ This is the 1962 switch. The '63 -up turn signal switches are located in column beneath steering wheel.

I would agree with prior posts in removing the wheel & investigating condition of the switch.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great advise -- thanks.... I will pull the turn signal switch first to see which model I actually have before I order it. According to Classic Industries there are 2 versions that could be used. Hopefully its not the high $ one, but with my luck $$$$ it will.
unfortunately the work will have to wait a few days....
I'll check the other suggustions too.

----- thanks again !! :yes:

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
Many times the turn sig wiring deteriorates and will cause shorting problems. As posted, a check in this area is a good place to start. If fuses are blown, then shorting problem exists. You are wise to trace/identify and fix this issue. No offense intended, but you stated earlier that you replaced a blown fuse with a "stronger" one. Not a good idea.:no: Fuses, circuits and wiring are sized according to the load they were designed to carry. Installing a fuse that is rated higher than the wire, can cause serious damage including burned-up wire and possible fire.

Frank

1 - 10 of 10 Posts