Chevy Nova Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1972 6 Cylinder Dragster :)
841 Posts
To those that say this method is messy - try and manual sand an entire car then tell me about messy.
I'll take bondo dust, which is flammable...try it sometime, over the chemical drip gunk nonsense and the entire process. That's just me. I mean, apply chemicals, wait, cover with saran wrap, wait. Reapply chemicals, scrape...ok it took off 1/16" of paint, put more chemicals on, wait, scrape...oh I've got half melted paint and bondo on my putty knife, wipe it off somewhere, apply more chemicals. Continue this process until you get most of the paint / bondo off and then sand or use some mechanical means, now make sure you put something on the panel to neutralize the chemicals, wash the panel. Just not for me personally.

I own a house that was built probably in 1780 and I started working on refinishing some of the moldings and casings. I tried chemicals and they suck. The paint/gunk just sticks to everything and you wipe and wipe at it with rags or paper towels and it's everywhere in cracks and creases. Heat gun + scraper. Very arduous but consistent and the paint comes up, along with the lead aroma. yum.

·
Registered
1972 Nova - 4 door - straight 6
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Man, great arguments. One minute i want to sand everything, the next i want to use chemicals and then i am back to wanting to sand again uggg.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Very good points unstable - true it’s a bit more of a process which is why I’d never use it on anything but large, flat(ish) sections. Hood, roof, trunk lid, door panel etc. and even then nowhere near a seam or something. If it’s hot enough and you have the good stuff, you can really do a lot of “damage” with very little effort - just scrape the crap off in a coffee can or something as you go. I wish I could afford to have the whole thing just dipped and primered at one of those places, but they have their own issues like leeching chemicals and stuff like that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
These on an angle grinder...
And these on a 90 degree die grinder...

I stripped my 71 this way with no problems

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
I used gel paint remover to remove just the factory color coat it didn't appear it was going to penetrate the sealer coat. Probably because in CA it's restricted to a weak version of stripper. Yes, hell of a mess but with proper PPE and cardboard boxes to scrape the crap into. It got easier as I went. For the sealer coat that was tough as hell and honestly should have been left on. Wagner paint eater took it off no problem. Had to get into tight area's with a small wire wheel.

·
Registered
81 Posts
HA! took me a minute @Mike Goble ! I'm slow like that...

@Fzeed
a mobile dustless blaster will travel to your location and blast it to the metal without harming glass or trim (or the ever-lovin' environment). when we did the 240z the guy even had a lift and picked it up first upfront and then the rear to blast the underside. all in one day. we did have the windows n trim out though. it was a glorious thing! soda blast also staves off flash rust, especially if you roll er back into the shop right away. you just sweep up any remnants in the driveway and drop em in the trash can. we did our car in the yard. you couldn't even tell it occurred.
shameless picture added...
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

ok, shameless video added as well! sorry sorry, im done here ! :p

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I had a 240z once....not nearly as nice as that though.
I might look for a similar mobile service but i doubt it would be cheap considering where i live.

·
Premium Member
8,640 Posts
Let's get serious here and quit kidding around.

Stripping is serious business and one really has to consider ALL of the ramifications.

I went into it eyes wide open trying to remain as open-minded as possible about the benefits of stripping vs the downside.

You don't want to open a new can of worms if you can avoid it.

One of the things that always kind of bothered me about stripping was when I would be hired to strip at bachelorette parties. The women (most of whom were supermodels) would go absolutely wild stuffing my G-string with greenbacks. Thousands of dollars worth! I'd have them hanging out of just about everywhere!

Then the supermodels would always try to get me to come home with them.

It was horrible!

Never before in my entire life had I felt more like a "piece of meat".

So be careful what you wish for.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Well, i had some credit at the auto store for some stuff i returned and i saw a can of Aircraft Stripper. I thought, why not!? So i got home and i followed the directions. I sprayed it on (aerosol can) and the spray nozzle was wacked. I get a coat on. Let it sit for 45 minutes. A lot of stuff came off. I replaced the nozzle and it was way better and a lot more force. I spray it, wait, scrape it. Second time was ok. I ran out on the 3rd pass. I wait, scrape. Now i decided that i need to sand the rest off, and that's were it got really bad. The paint was soft but not soft enough to scrap. It was soft enough to mess up a lot of sandpaper. Anyway, maybe next time i will buy the brush on type if i decide to go that route.
Before and after.

World Leaf Wood Paint Road surface

Wood Rectangle Gas Tints and shades Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
1972 6 Cylinder Dragster :)
841 Posts
Now i decided that i need to sand the rest off, and that's were it got really bad. The paint was soft but not soft enough to scrap. It was soft enough to mess up a lot of sandpaper.
That was another reason I hate stripping that I completely forgot about. When you turn to using grinders or sanders to knock down paint / bondo etc. if stripper was applied it tends to stick to the abrasive in clumps rendering the sander / grinder less effective. Looks like your end result came out pretty nicely though sir.

·
5,376 Posts
Well, i had some credit at the auto store for some stuff i returned and i saw a can of Aircraft Stripper. I thought, why not!? So i got home and i followed the directions. I sprayed it on (aerosol can) and the spray nozzle was wacked. I get a coat on. Let it sit for 45 minutes. A lot of stuff came off. I replaced the nozzle and it was way better and a lot more force. I spray it, wait, scrape it. Second time was ok. I ran out on the 3rd pass. I wait, scrape. Now i decided that i need to sand the rest off, and that's were it got really bad. The paint was soft but not soft enough to scrap. It was soft enough to mess up a lot of sandpaper. Anyway, maybe next time i will buy the brush on type if i decide to go that route.
Before and after.
The aerosol stripper does not work near as well as the gallon can. Pour it on brush it out and let the liquid do the work. Thickness and wetness are required.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I was watching Coopers vs Aircraft and was wondering if using a stripping is a good idea?
I can see at least 3 different layers of paint. The top yellow layer is almost coming off on its own. I bought a paint stripper disk that would go into my drill, used it a few times but it would take a while to do the entire car and the Cooper Stripper looks pretty easy. View attachment 443139
Bee sur all is thoroughly washed off be 4 recoat. Or it'll come bak to haunt.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts