Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to install a tranny temp gauge and I am planning on putting the sender in the pan. I have a 700r4 which currently does not have a binge hole or drain.
?- install a drain in the bottom of the pan and a bung on the side for the sender or one on the side for the sender ? It's a weekend driver and I tend to drive it hard so i'm looking for some comfort on the temp front.

Suggestions are welcome!

Thx
Greg

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Rick I have a B&M plate cooler out front without a fan (right now-considering adding one if I find I'm running too hot). I'm concerned that the tyranny is running too hot - might get one of those infra red temp deals to test the pan or just add the temp gauge - but open to all options.
I'd really like to replace one of my 2 1/16 gauges with a combo gauge to add the tranny temp...

What are you thinking ?

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
If you have one of those hand held infrared temp guns check the temp after you have been driving for about 20 to 30 mins. Check it all around the trans case and pan area. RICK

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
I would just get a pan with a larger sump and the fitting holes are ready drilled and tapped. I got one for about $80 that holds a couple extra quarts of fluid.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
I got mine through Atlantic Speed shop on EBay for several bucks less then Summit or Jegs had them. I looked and can't find them listed on Ebay any more.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
I would just get a pan with a larger sump and the fitting holes are ready drilled and tapped. I got one for about $80 that holds a couple extra quarts of fluid.
And way would you want to know what the temp is after it has run through the cooler. You need to know what it is before it is cooled down. How big of a stall are you running?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And way would you want to know what the temp is after it has run through the cooler. You need to know what it is before it is cooled down. How big of a stall are you running?
Ok you got me ... I'm not an expert by any means .. Was suggested to me by someone who has more knowledge.

Picked up the infrared thermometer - ran around town pushing it hard from 0-50... Stopped left it running and checked temps:

Plate cooler 180-190
Tranny Pan 210-220
Tranny case 230 on several different points

Suggestions -try a fan to pull air through the plate cooler?
I'll find a pic in a minute

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
That is a good cooler and it will work that way but would work a lot better hanging in front of the rad. Are you running the trans line in the radiator at all or just through the cooler? If just the cooler then first thing I would do is move it to a better location so air can move through it. Like I said before. Putting a temp sender in the pan will just give you false info and is a wast of time and your money. It will cost you less money to put the T in the line and give you true info than putting it in the pan. The only way a cooler can work at it's best is for air to go through it not around and over it.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks guys I understand about the placement etc...

All I have at this point is the plate cooler - it is not run in the radiator.

I'll have to see what I can do about moving it. I also have a Hayden cooler that is twice the size plate and fin design 11x11 - any thoughts on using it out front instead of the smaller 5x11 BM cooler?

Easy fix would be a 400 cfm fan on the current plate cooler - but probably not the best or most efficient way.... ugh too many options and they all cost something... Such is the hot rod life!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts