Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any calculator out there that predicts what a car should run? This is my setup:

2600 # 4 link Nova
355 ci - 10.5 to 1 cr
Super victor intake
Holley hp 950
AFR 210 heads
Powerglide w/ transbrake
33 x 15 x 15 slicks
.488 gears
leaving on the brake @ 4800
shifting @ 6800
crossing @ 7000
146 60'
10.46 - 1/4 mile e.t.

Something doesn't seem right. I know it's a small motor.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
Is there any calculator out there that predicts what a car should run? This is my setup:

2600 # 4 link Nova
355 ci - 10.5 to 1 cr
Super victor intake
Holley hp 950
AFR 210 heads
Powerglide w/ transbrake
33 x 15 x 15 slicks
.488 gears
leaving on the brake @ 4800
shifting @ 6800
crossing @ 7000
146 60'
10.46 - 1/4 mile e.t.

Something doesn't seem right. I know it's a small motor.

Thanks
According to the limited HP/TQ curve info, torque converter specs, and the type of slicks you're running...with a guesstimation of 7% slip efficiency on the torque converter, Drag DynoSim estimates that you should be running low 9s with 950 bhp and a first gen Nova weighing 2600 lbs.

Just for accuracy sake, Drag DynoSim predicted my ET within 0.010 seconds on my car's first full pass - but, I had dyno sheets on my engine and specs of my torque converter efficiency, etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
According to the limited HP/TQ curve info, torque converter specs, and the type of slicks you're running...with a guesstimation of 7% slip efficiency on the torque converter, Drag DynoSim estimates that you should be running low 9s with 950 bhp and a first gen Nova weighing 2600 lbs.

Just for accuracy sake, Drag DynoSim predicted my ET within 0.010 seconds on my car's first full pass - but, I had dyno sheets on my engine and specs of my torque converter efficiency, etc.
Ummmmmmmmm correct me if I'm wrong but I think the "950" reference is to the CFM of the Holley carb not his horsepower. 950 is a tall order for a 10:1 355ci!!!!

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
SBC output was 950 HP
Since it only takes a little over 500 to run mid 10's in a 2600 lb. car, I think it's missing some power. And to make 950 h.p. with a 350 takes a lot more than a 10.5-1 small block with 23° heads!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry about the confusion and the numerous threads! The carburator is a Holley hp 950. The other thread was created because I thought I needed more motor, but after the replies, I was thinking something like the chassis is not working, so, i created this thread. I didn't mean to confuse, so i started this thread, to get ideas. I am afraid of nitrous, because i recently saw a car explode @ Pinks. The hp 950 is on the motor because i got a good deal on it. So what i'm gathering so far is either:

Chassis needs tuning, or
383 sbc, or
transmission needs freshening

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
A 10.5-1 350 making 525 h.p. is fairly stout, so 10.46 doesn't sound bad to me. What are the cam specs? Why such a big carb/manifold on such a mild combo? It would probably be a screamer with around 14.5-1 comp. and a big roller.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
With a small nitrous kit you won't have any big dramatic explosions unless you have a solenoid stick open for a long time and fill the engine with nitrous, but I think you would notice that before it went boom. I've never had so much as a hiccup with my 200 shot, even when the car almost died after stepping on the pedal with the nitrous engaged and the Edelbog carb stumbling and trying to slam my face into the steering wheel!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
ok so with what you have now your happy with what it runs right? But in your previous thread you want to get the 60fts down and then get it in the low nines. This is not a bash, I just wanted to be clear here.

So I suggested the car should 60ft in the 1.2 zone being a 2600# car with a 4 link and big tires, assuming you have the power. With your current set up IMO you don't have enough motor and stall to turn those big tires to get the 60fts. With those 220cc heads on a 355 you really need to spin that sucker to get the air speed up to make some power past 7,000. With those heads and the right cam you should be up around 7800-8200. And definitely need more converter.

With that being said in order to achieve the low nines you definitely need more power. Either put some compression and more cam or put in a 400+ engine and make use of those big heads. IMO I think switching to a 400+ would make it easier to achieve the ET's you want without having to zing the motor like the 355.

I think what you have now is excellent. A 10 sec car with a mild combo that will do it all day. Consistantly. IMO that chassis is begging for more power.

·
Premium Member
2,107 Posts
What cam are you running? What MPH in the 1/4? What's your 1/8 mile time and speed?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts