Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is a 65 new build with new hinges. After a couple of months both doors have sagged a bit. I’m not sure if it is the new hinges settling a bit or maybe the hinge has moved against the body a bit. Has anyone else had this problem? I wondering if there is a serrated type shim like the one under the door strikes to bite into to body and hinge to keep it from moving. I’m getting ready to take the front end apart and I only want to do this once so I thought I’d get your guys feedback. TIA

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Hi there ….

so, I have a ?

When you installed your 65 doors ---=-=- were they -- installed with-out the door glass / or / window hard-ware ?

Also, they make "door hinge adjuster" -- curved wrenches .

They can reach in and 'adjust or loosen' the door-hinge-bolts -- with-out removing anything. (I'm just saying , to re-adjust the doors on the car).

Then, sometime doors just change after time .

I'll go out & find my 2/3 door wrenches , & take a picture .

Reactions: Bob's 65 Post

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi there ….

so, I have a ?

When you installed your 65 doors ---=-=- were they -- installed with-out the door glass / or / window hard-ware ?

They can reach in and 'adjust or loosen' the door-hinge-bolts -- with-out removing anything. (I'm just saying , to re-adjust the doors on the car).

Another good question. When I did the final alignment on the panels there was no guts in the doors but I had them up slightly as I New when I put weight in the door they would sag a bit. Once all the glass etc was in the they sagged a bit and were perfectly aligned then over time (4 months or so)they dropped. They are probably both down a 1/4” or so now.

I have heard about this tool but haven’t seen one before. That’s actually a great idea. Do they work pretty good or is it a battle?

·
6,502 Posts
I have to wonder, could the hinges being new, could they have developed some slop in them allowing the sag ?.

Normally the driver's side will get opened and closed more than the other side and is your issue possibly limited to just the driver's side ?.

Luckily you have a way to somewhat easily adjust the alignment vs what some of us have to deal with and have the welded on hinges with no easy adjustments.

Jim

·
Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
493 Posts
My guess is the hinges slipped on the body due to inadequate torque on the bolts. It would be hard to imagine the hinges (pins and bushings) wearing enough to allow that much sag in such a short period of time. Do you have lots of play in the hinges if you grab the door near the rear edge and move it up and down when it is about 2" from the closed position?

Maybe loosen the attach bolts, align the door again, and tighten the heck out of the bolts (but don't strip or break them) to make sure the hinge stays put.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have to wonder, could the hinges being new, could they have developed some slop in them allowing the sag ?.

Normally the driver's side will get opened and closed more than the other side and is your issue possibly limited to just the driver's side ?.

Luckily you have a way to somewhat easily adjust the alignment vs what some of us have to deal with and have the welded on hinges with no easy adjustments.

Jim
There is zero slop in the hinges either side. The issue is on both sides. Ya if they were welded on like the later years that would be a nightmare.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My guess is the hinges slipped on the body due to inadequate torque on the bolts. It would be hard to imagine the hinges (pins and bushings) wearing enough to allow that much sag in such a short period of time. Do you have lots of play in the hinges if you grab the door near the rear edge and move it up and down when it is about 2" from the closed position?

Maybe loosen the attach bolts, align the door again, and tighten the heck out of the bolts (but don't strip or break them) to make sure the hinge stays put.
This is my guess as well. It’s possible the bolts didn’t get tightened enough during alignment. The doors have zero slop in them. That is the plan at this point. I’d really like to get a look at the tool where I don’t have to take anything apart.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi there ….

so, I have a ?

If I can get a pic of the wrench you use the would be great! Can you buy them or do you just make it?

·
Registered
870 Posts
I bought new hinges to go on my 65. My drivers side is great but the hinge on the passenger has wear in it. Car was completed in October 2017. You can lift the end of the door and see the slack in the passenger side hinge. Will probably wind up replacing it one day.

·
Registered
558 Posts
If you get info on those wrenches

If you get info on the wrenches let me know, I have a soor that you have to lift a little to close straight also, thanks

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
If I can get a pic of the wrench you use the would be great! Can you buy them or do you just make it?
Canmat1 …

I'll find that & get that pic ---==-======= BUT, u'r PM BOX is FULL . I tried too send u a PM …… Jim

If you get info on the wrenches let me know, I have a soor that you have to lift a little to close straight also, thanks
and, Hi Dan ,

I still have u'r PM ---- I can't find my GOOD Door Hinge Wrench .

I'm looking (been looking) … and, have not for-gotten you .

My "curved door hinge wrench is from a MAC Tool Truck (bought back in the mid-70's ; my old body-shop-days) .

Door hinge Bolt Wrench ; MAC Tool # S-138 = 9/16" (box-end) on each end --- curved in-order to reach in-side of door to install/remove/adjust those door hinge bolts …(with the said door IN PLACE on the car).

Then, later on I found a better "Style / Type" curved 9/16" wrench too FIT EVEN BETTER , for this exact purpose. I have two complete "roll-a-ways" ………….. that Good wrench is " M I A " , I'm looking, as we speak.

Dan -- You'll be 1st too know ……. they are "store bought wrenches --- NOT home made " !

Canmat1 --- make some room for a PM .

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Canmat1 …

I'll find that & get that pic ---==-======= BUT, u'r PM BOX is FULL . I tried too send u a PM …… Jim

and, Hi Dan ,

I still have u'r PM ---- I can't find my GOOD Door Hinge Wrench .

I'm looking (been looking) … and, have not for-gotten you .

My "curved door hinge wrench is from a MAC Tool Truck (bought back in the mid-70's ; my old body-shop-days) .

Door hinge Bolt Wrench ; MAC Tool # S-138 = 9/16" (box-end) on each end --- curved in-order to reach in-side of door to install/remove/adjust those door hinge bolts …(with the said door IN PLACE on the car).

Then, later on I found a better "Style / Type" curved 9/16" wrench too FIT EVEN BETTER , for this exact purpose. I have two complete "roll-a-ways" ………….. that Good wrench is " M I A " , I'm looking, as we speak.

Dan -- You'll be 1st too know ……. they are "store bought wrenches --- NOT home made " !

Canmat1 --- make some room for a PM .
I deleted some PM’s Jim. If you end up finding those wrenches please send me a pic.

Thanks

·
Registered
505 Posts
I bought new hinges to go on my 65. My drivers side is great but the hinge on the passenger has wear in it. Car was completed in October 2017. You can lift the end of the door and see the slack in the passenger side hinge. Will probably wind up replacing it one day.
just change the pins, much easier

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
I deleted some PM’s Jim. If you end up finding those wrenches please send me a pic.

Thanks

NOTE :I have pictures of the TYPE OF DOOR Hinge Bolt ADJUSTING WRENCHES --- BUT : only my 9/16" & my 5/8" wrenches.

I Have never used the 5/8" wrench (too large) , and, the 9/16" wrench is for larger Trucks...…….. ; I DO Have
this very Same type "curved" wrench -- in a 1/2" style --- that FITS the NOVA Door Hinge BOLTS !

That and another 1/2" (better ) curved wrench that will fit those "car" sized 1/2" (socket size - head bolt) …………….

I Can-not Find either of those last two wrenches.
THEY DO Make Them …… just MIA -- for now.

The two curved wrenches -- are " MAC TOOL " bought tools (all , of my -- door wrenches are "MAC") .

#1 -- the 9/16" curved - box-end door wrench --- MAC # S138

#2 -- BOTH the 1/2" and 9/16" wrenches ARE the SAME ! ……. ( 1/2" wrench IS missing )

#3 -- NOTE : This picture is of Diana's 2006 GMC truck Right Side Door Hinge … (This hinge IS A GLUE-ON Type hinge).
I took this pic because : to have a clean / clear photo. MORE Showing "How The Curve Works" . --- understand ?

#4 -- 69 Nova Left Door - Top Hinge ….. but, hinge bolts use 1/2" socket head wrench .

#5 -- FLIP the TOOL OVER ; to get-at-the Lower hinge bolts (still on the top drivers side hinge )(lower two bolts) . My door hinge has 4 bolts.

I hope you can understand my "pictures" .

again, these are 'bought wrenches --- not home-made .

If & when … I find my other two missing 'Door Wrenches' …………
I'll post them , also .

Dan, sorry for the delay …. :yes: ………………. jim

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Now that you looked ---- go back & look at-the-end-of that 9/16" wrench --- see the "box-end" portion is off-set . That is on either end
--- it holds the tool away from the hinge , somewhat .

The wrench also "Has a compound type curve" .
Look at the pic of the two wrenches on the trash-can.
The 5/8" wrench Will Lay Almost Flat … curved only one-way.

The 9/16" door wrench … will NOT Lay Flat . Hard too explain , but it's there.

the end ..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts