Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The door will not open on my 72 Nova. It acts like it is locked but it's not. The outside and inside handles are activating the latch fully but the door won't open and acts like the lock is activated but I have popped the lock lever up and down, can hear it click both ways, but the door won't open. This latch is a stock latch mounted inside a fiberglas door in a car with a funnycar roll cage and almost no room to get to work on it. Is there a way to over ride the lock mechanism so I can get the thing open? RM

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I've had this happen to both my 69's and don't know what causes it I just kept wiggling the mechanism from inside and evetually it opened.I think the mechanism is locked and the arm that engages it is not disengaging it cause they get sticky.Not much help but hope it helps.

Paul

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looks like the latch is worn out.Best to try to open the door with a little push from the inside and if not then time to do a little cutting on the inside of the fiberglass door ,can you remove the seat? Good luck.
Tommieb

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't get the seat out due the funny car cage. I can see the latch and have clicked the lock release many times with no luck. I inspected the latches very well when I built this car 5 yrs ago and they seemed perfect with no wear in them. I actually had several to chose from at the time but they are all still old no matter what. There is also no apparent way to cut anything in the area of the latch due to the F/C cage and the associated bars. I guess I'll have to get a latch and see exactly how it works and go from there. Been racing for 40 yrs and never had to park a car due to the friggin door not opening. I was hoping someone knew a trick to over ride the lock somehow so i could get it open. RM

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
RM check the locking rod from the key cylinder it maybe in the wrong position to allow inside lock to disengage.Like I posted just seem to wiggle the right part even when it happen second time after being aware of it still couldn't solve it first try I was just about ready to kick the door off the car and had to walk away tried again and it came free,it is fustrating as H#@*.:( :mad:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
if you can see the latch, try spraying some lube on it, i like Zep 45, the best stuff on the market....its worth a try....

if you can see it you can get it open

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can see the latch. I've sprayed it with WD40 til is is soaked. I can flip and have flipped the lock latch til my forearm is bleeding. I loosened the torx sticker bolt a couple turns so it at least moves now but it will not unlatch. You can feel the mechanism has resistance when it is unlocked and feel that it has none when the lock is engaged so it is not the lock mechanism that is doing it. I have looked at the stock suspension Novas latch but can't see what actually unlatches it and since I just installed the new door panels on it don't want to pull them back off it. I am stumped so my plan is to go over to my buddies and pull the latch out of one of the parts Novas there. Then I hope to be able to see what I need to do to unlatch this thing. Been calling him all day but being Easter he's not home. There has to be a clip, button, tab or something I can pry, drill, beat the heck out of or something and get it open but I can't figure out what that is. Hopefully a mechanism in my hand will provide that info........LOL. SOB has whipped up on me......LOL. RM

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i agree with lubing the heck out of it and continually working all opening mechanisms... i agree it's prolly sticky/gummed up and STUCK !!! :eek: :mad: :eek: :mad: :eek: :mad: :rolleyes:

work that baby and it'll prolly give in and open for ya...

cussing just won't work in all situations... and ya can't always use a bat :rolleyes: :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Over time the grease in these latches will have picked up thirty years of dirt and grime. Now it's more like a heavy wax or something. When my driver's door was stuck, I just kept working with it until it finally came open (still don't know what finally made it give up).

Just a note, my original latches had a lot of wear. I found two good used latches on a '78 Nova that bolted right in. I thoroughly cleaned & re-lubed them before installation.

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
All it needs is a little extra push, to if lubing and playing don't get it un stuck. Yer kinda SOL.

So if all else fails, and you have to wreck something to get it open.

Drill out the push button in your outer door handle. Then use a screw driver to operate the latch. It is the cheapest piece to replace and one of the easiest to get and install. Besides after many years of use the end of the rod is probably worn down a little to that this can happen to you.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This unit look like new. When I picked the latches I wanted when I built the car I soaked them in varsol overnight, then scrubbed them with a brush and they were clean and they still seem clean. That got me to thinking they were too clean so I sprayed the WD40 to them. That drawing gives me a better idea of what I need to unlatch the fork bolt as they call it. This car has never seen water since it was built 5 yrs ago and it stays in a heated/ air conditioned humidity controlled shop most of the time. I actually had the helmet in my hand two times and it got real close to beating the SOB open. I have mellowed with age but when I was in my 30s the door would be open now........LOL. Thanks, RM

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DOOR IS OPEN, DOOR IS OPEN! The drawing helped me out here. Son in law came over and his smaller arm was able to remove the outside handle. Looked at the drawing and just started to pry and bend the mechanism with a hugh screwdriver though the outside handle hole while he bent and pryed inside the door where my fat butt couldn't get. Finally got it to pop to the second latch and kept prying til it opened. While we severly injured the SOB it seems the release mechanism just wore or bent so it couldn't unlatch the cam. Bending it up allowed it to be able to unlatch. Thanks for all the thoughts, ideas, suggestions and drawing. Couldn't have done it witout you and the son in laws smaller body.......LOL. RM

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Glad to here you got it.

Taz:D :D

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Well thats awesome news.:cool:...I was seeing a sledge hammer in your future if that door didnt soon release...:D :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts