Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here recently I've noticed that the floor on the passenger side is damp after a good rain. This past week we've had heavy down pours everyday. My floor is drenched. Today I stuck the hose to the door and it's leaking somewhere around the front part of the door. I'm thinking my weatherstripping may be the cause. This is new weatherstripping but the passenger door doesn't look like the driver door.

http://www.pink-elephants.net/Door1.jpg

http://www.pink-elephants.net/Door2.jpg

These are both pictures of the passenger door. My question is does it look like the weatherstripping is the problem?

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,056 Posts
Red04Cobra,

Even with new weatherstrip and window channel liner, my 77 had quite a bit of wind noise and an occasional water leak coming from around the front part of the driver side door. Comparing both sides, I noticed that the front part of the driver side door window frame wasn't fitting in as tight to the car body as the passenger side. Judging by the wet area on the weatherstrip in your 2nd photo, your car might have a similar problem.

Sounds kind of crude, but the fix was to simply bend the window frame in a little. I did that by opening the door, rolling the window down, and pulling in on the upper/front part of the window frame while bracing my knee against the inside of the door. Just pull it in a little, close the door to check the fit, and pull it in a little more if necessary.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I'm ordering new weatherstripping..Metro of Soffseal. I'm going to see if that helps then I'll try what you said. At this point I'll try anything. I have new carpet in the car and it's ruining the carpet. It's getting soaked everyday.

Also, did you replace the window run channel? Mine is dry rotted and falling out. I've tried finding the best brand or place to order from but I'm still not sure. I also haven't found any instructions on how to properly replace this.

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,056 Posts
Yes, I replaced the window run channel. The old stuff should simply pull out of the window frame ... save it for a pattern.

I bought the new channel liner from Classic Muscle (www.oldmusclecars.com) It comes in a couple of pieces about 8 feet long that needs to be cut/trimmed to fit.

Look closely at the old stuff and you'll notice a V-notch type cut where it bends around the upper/rear corner of the window frame. That needs to be duplicated on the replacement channel liner. Then, after cutting it to length, simply push it into the window frame. Having the inside door panels off really helps when getting the liner down into the lower window guide channels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts