Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 66 can someone tell me if the door switch has a nut behind it? Im trying to get it off and it just spins. Also my doom light does not work with the headlight switch any ideas? The only time it comes on is with the passenger door open.

thanks

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
There is no nut, it made its own threads when it was installed. Someone must have overtightened it and ruined the threads. That would suck. You need to remove the kick panel and look in there. You can see the switch through there. You need to apply pressure to it and maybe the good threads will catch. Might be why the dome light does not work. It needs to ground to work or the wires are broken from rotating the switch. Good luck. Check out the Ebay auction for a picture of the switch. Cory
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110354674767

·
6,682 Posts
I think too that the threads are stripped. Take a set of small vise grips to the hex head and while pulling outward start unthreading it out and if need be, reset the vise grips to allow you to continue pulling outward while unthreading it until you get it all the way out.
You may have stripped the threads on the old pin switch or the hole in the jamb and when you go to put a new one in if it does not want to stay tight, you may have to add a nut behind the jamb to get it to stay tight providing the new pin switch has enough threads. If it doesn't you may be able to find another type of switch that has a slightly larger thread diameter. I know some aftermarket alarm pin switches mostly used for the hood have a long threaded portion on them to allow a backup nut to be used.
One thing that might work also is to take some small diameter copper wire and insert it into the hole while threading in the new pin switch to take up the slop and make it tight.

Jim

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Here is another method that would work.

You would have to use a deep well socket, masking tape, and some 90 deg pliers. Before you start, tape off the area around the switch and ensure that you don't scratch the paint. Then, once you start backing out the switch with the deep well socket, gently insert the 90 deg pliers under the head of the switch and apply pressure. You will use the pliers as a folcrum and you will not need to take the kick panel off. Or, you might have to gently force the pliers under there and then start backing the stripped switch out.

Hope this helps..

Dan

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
switch

Got it just needed to use plyers to pull out while I un-screwed it. The switch and threads are fine there is no threads at the top so I used a small washer and it tightened up just fine. Back in business

thanks for the tips and help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts