Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Installing trim parts on 66 SS, and have a tech question.
I have asked a few different people and have received of course, a few different answers. Just looking to find a consensus.

Question is, what should be applied between the roof rail trim and the body?
This would be the trim piece that the roof rail weather strip mounts to, covering tops of both front/rear window and front/rear pillars.

I have been told that an adhesive backed foam strip works, also that a clear RTV will do. There is also the extra trim piece on the front pillar, that joins with the drip rail trim. Assuming something has to be applied between it and the trim below it.

Hoping someone has a solid answer for me.

Thanks Much
Matt

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, also, I did see some comments in here about using rope caulk.
Any opinions on that would be helpful as well.

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
The factory probably used rope caulk. That was there 'go to' for sealing things.

·
Registered
901 Posts
When I did my 65 I'm pretty sure I was the first person since 1965 to touch them. Mine had a rope type putty from the factory. I think they called it dum dum putty. I went back with the same type stuff and so far so good. If your car has the two corner pieces you are ahead of the game. They are hard to find and ultra expensive if you can find them.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Just did mine and I used 3M strip caulk.

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,537 Posts
I started cleaning up my stainless a few weeks ago but still had these pieces that show the type sealer they used. Some was done with the light beige or light grey Dum-Dum and some with the Black Butyl. The last photo shows glue residue from where the window seal was applied. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much for the responses. That's what I kind of thought as well. Has been a while since I took all that stuff off the car, but I do remember it being a putty like material when I removed it.

I bought some butyl cord from AMK products for some other applications on the car, but there should be enough to cover the roof rails.

Yes, I do have the corner pieces, actually my car was 100% there when I disassembled it. Funny about the mention of this pieces, Rudy at Modern Perf
said the same thing to me last week.

Anyway, thanks again for the quick responses. I'm good to go knocking another
assembly task off the list.

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,537 Posts
I also bought my butyl cord from AMK #B-11744 and the Dum Dum from Chevy2only #97006. Will be using it before long as my Nova is coming home from the body shop this morning after 18 months.

·
Registered
77 Posts
3M still sells strip calk or you could use the flat butyl tape kit which I believe comes in a 1/4 x 1/8 size? The round butyl products probably will not flatten out enough. The flat ribbon/tape kits were commonly used in aftermarket sun roof installs,just keep away from any and all silicon based sealants they cause moisture build up and rust.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts