Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my lower hinge door rollers. the wheel at the top on both of them is blown out. I have found replacements at numerous companies. My question is how do i get the old ones out without damaging the hinge? thanks in advance.
-jay

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
by the looks of that kit, you just replace the top and the roller portion. all of the other kits i have seen involve replaceing the entire post, not just the top section. they are also half the cost and due to replacing the whole post, i would imagine they would be stronger. But i am a carpenter, not an engineer so what do i know!
-jay

·
Registered
170 Posts
Actually they are pretty easy to change out.

Remove the fender. Trust me it is much faster.
On the old roller just drill out the bottom. Just be careful to use the right bit.
The trick in getting in the new roller with the door sprint is this.

Make sure door is close. Grab a piece of 2X4 about 4 foot long. Carefully place the end against the edge of the 2x4 so that the bar is against the spring . Place a towel or something between the 2X4 and the cowl. Use the 2X4 to push the spring back so that the roller can slide down. Just be very careful NOT to put your fingers in such a way if anything slips you wont get hurt.
Personally I used a tool that has flexible fingers on the end of it.

Also check out http://www.oreillyauto.com/EW3/HomePage.do auto part # 2168PK. They had a kit in the HELP section at the store I was in just the other day.

It took me about 20 min to do mine.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all your help guys. my fenders are off and so are the springs. i used a large screw driver and pried them bitches off! the entire car is stripped ready to be epoxy primed so i did not have to worry about scratches. but i was terrified of the springs shooting right at my face! now, to figure out how to get the springs back on once i replace the rollers......
-jay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts