Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone every recovered door panels
my 74 had cracked door panels and everywhere i look they want a wad of money
i stripped the leather off and stripped them of the adhesive but i am stuck as far as what to do next
anybody have any suggestions
james

·
6,554 Posts
You are going to need some type of material that can be stretched and formed. If it's vinyl get unbacked material as backed material may be stronger but the backing limits how much stretch you can get out of it.
The factory vinyl from what I can tell by looking at the door panels on the 73 and 74 models is attached using some type of vaccum formed method. There are little holes that I suspect were used to draw the covering tight against the plastic panel. I see no reason why the injection molds to make the door panel would have these tiny through holes in them unless they had a purpose like pulling the covering material tight against the topside of the panel.
If I were to attempt covering the panels I would start with the arm rest area and then stretch and work the material outward from there. I would also only attempt it if I was using a good landau top glue. I'm not sold on the aerosol cans of glue. If you know how to sew then you could make a seam or arm rest insert into the covering material to where not so much pressure or stretching of the covering material is needed.

Jim

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
painted

i decided to use the sems paint and paint my white to black and i must say they turned out great

1 - 3 of 3 Posts