Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out of the country for the past couple of years and my beat-up '76 Concours spent that time sitting out by the shed. Somehow, not sure how (mice? no idea), the lock is jammed and the door won't open. I've removed everything in preparation to remove the door panel but I can't seem to get it off with the door shut but then again if I could open the door I wouldn't need to take the panel off. Catch 22 type of situation.

I can move the lock, from the inside, a little less than an inch but it lacks that "thud" of when it actually unlocks. I'm unable to unlock it from the outside with a key. Neither the outside or inside door handles are able to lock the door which causes me to believe it's the lock that's stuck and not the other levers.

Considering how good the (original) interior is, fairly pristine (why I bought the thing in the first place!), I'd rather not take a saw to it so that I can unstuck whatever is stuck.

Any suggestions for a dummy such as myself?

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Im sure you tried this but spray some pb blaster or other spray oil in where the lock rod goes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure did... will try again tomorrow, just to be sure. Sometimes PB needs a couple of days to work its voodoo :D

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
you are correct on letting it sit a day. also try opening the door from the inside while lifting on the lock rod. If all that fails sell the car lol j/k. roll the window down and take a flash light and look down in the lock hole. you can unscrew the chrome cap on the lock rod. if you dont see anything in there its just froze up and can only recommend more pb blaster and also try sticking the straw from the pb blast in between the door and body above and around the latch and soak it down.

·
Registered
582 Posts
After it soaks down try giving it a real hard push from the inside (with your feet maybe) with both the outer button and inner handle open all the way. That might unfreeze the lock.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
How easy is it to take that panel off ( just not destroying the near perfect panel ) ???

I know window handle, arm rest, inside door handle, .....???

Would the door need to be open to catch any screws .....???

I have no clue with a 75 - 79 novas... this is why Im asking.....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far nothing has worked on the door. :bored: Will keep trying. Today I managed to get a look inside by using a screwdriver to move the panel away from the window (removed all screws, some interior trim, etc). I can't see anything blocking the lock. Further, when I pull the interior door handle I can see how the mechanism works but the lever it's supposed to depress is already depressed. I'm thinking it's just the door latch that is stuck. Tomorrow I will try that "kick with both legs" thing. I've thoroughly soaked everything inside with PB and maybe that'll help by tomorrow.

Decided to do a tune-up while I work on the door. Got the carb soaking in a hot bath of antifreeze in a crock pot :D After disassembly, of course.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it open! :prost:

Managed to get the top of the door panel over the lock screw so that I could see in the side. Everything was moving well and we just couldn't figure out what it was. That was when dad noticed a tab that wasn't where it was supposed to be. Where the exterior door handle actuates a lever, that lever was frozen with rust. If you ever want to look for it, by the way, it's very high up behind the metallic panel. Impossible to see from above. Anyways, e pushed and pulled on it until it moved and voila, door opened. We've got it cleaned and lubed now; the door opens easier than it ever has!

Ran into another problem, though, but I'm going to make a new thread about that.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Im glad to hear you got the door open. post some pics of the car:D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sure, no problem. It's a rust-bucket. I bought it because it had great interior; only $1000! The previous owner was in delaware, though, where they apparently drop a lot of salt. Rust everywhere!

I think the mice have gone nuts on the wires, too. Radio doesn't work anymore, lights flicker, etc. Was fine before. Damned mice!

All of these pics are from when I was draining the gas and removing the carb (needed to be rebuilt).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts