Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 64 2d Ht the drivers door works (opens) with the inside and outside handles, but will not lock from the outside. It will lock from the inside by pushing the door handle down. The lock cylinder assembly turns with the key, (quite freely) but will not lock the button. Any ideas on what is causing this? I am having problems getting the door panel off to check out what's wrong. I took the crank, arm rest and door handle off and I cant get the panel off. The panel is starting to break right in the center of the door panel at the top, so I stopped prying on it. The panel has the trim at the top and bottom, so I assume I should be able able to flex the center of the panel and it should come out of the trim grooves ??? Does anyone have some pics of the inner door mechanicals available so I can see how everything is suppose to work? I think the panel thats on it is one that someone made to replace the original and it may just be a real tight fit, unless I'm missing something? Any thoughts, ideas or pics would be appreciated> Thanks

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
you need a door panel clip removal tool or a putty knife will work... slide the tool under the panel and slide it to a clip, pry gently but firmly and pop the clip out of the door.(after handles & arm rest is removed) once all clips are popped out, bow the panel slightly in the center to pull it out of the upper & lower trim strips...

remove the lock/latch mechanism and dunk it/soak it in a plastic container of generic oven cleaner. it should remove all gum/grime build up...

prior to soaking you can work the latch so you can see where it's sticking.

might be able to work the mechanism without removing it but i think you should pull it and clean it. if it's not working properly now it could get worse and leave you unable to open the door... that would be a pita as it's really hard to get a door open with a stuck "closed" latch... you're lucky you can open it.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Regarding the lock issue. Since you say it turns freely, you may not have the lock arm on the back of the lock cylinder. Once you get the panel off by following Flyer's directions you should be able to see the back of the lock cylinder. If it doesn't have an arm on it check the inside of the bottom of the door. They are held on by a small clip, so may have come loose. If you don't have the necessary pieces give me a shout.

Walt

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
well DUH! that makes sense... why didn't i POST that!!! :doh: :D

actually that makes Perfect sense. Thanks Walt! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont think there are any clips on my door panel, just a grooved chrome trim piece on the top and one on the bottom. I think someone made a replacement panel for that door and maybe its now diiferent. I can see that the trim pieces are screwed on, unless I'm missing something still:( I guess I'll try to get it off again, thats the only way I'm for sure going to fix it. If it breaks, I'll make a new one and glue the vinyl covering back on the new board. I've never had a door panel frustrate me this bad.:no:

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
the clip is behind the panel, there are cut outs in the panel and the clip slides into it. the door has a plastic insert that receives the clip. slide the putty knife between the panel and the door. slide the knife up/down and it will stop at a clip. work the knife to pop the clip from the receiver. you should be able to see what is happening as you slowly apply pressure. don't get "into" the clip, just next to it. like 1/16" away. or buy a door panel clip tool like this:

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&...w=184&start=0&ndsp=35&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:85

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally got the door panel off. There is a bracket style piece that hooks to the lock cylinder and then attaches to a small rod actuator. I seem to be missing the tiny clip that holds the bracket thing to the lock cylinder to keep it all together.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts