Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody help me out on how the door locks are supposed to operate on my 63? Both of my doors operate exactly the same... if the door is shut, you can push down on the inside handle and it locks the door. The key will not unlock from outside, the handle has to be pulled up from inside. You cannot have the door open, and push down on the inside handle to lock- it only works with the door shut. The outside key moves on both sides and feels like it "clicks", but it will neither lock or unlock the door.

Does this seem like they arent hooked up correctly or do you think i will need new assemblies in each door? How hard are the door panels to remove? (1963) Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
3,887 Posts
Either not connected correctly or not functioning correctly. The key should unlock the door from the outside, even if the door has been locked by pushing down the handle on the inside. The handle push down to lock feature will only work if the door is closed. The key should lock or unlock the door, regardless if it is locked from the inside or not.

·
Registered
335 Posts
As far as removing the door panel, dont just pull. You need a puller to remove the 4 tabs that are pressed in to the door. As far as your locks go, something is off that may not be letting the rod fully extend either direction or it's not connected at all.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay. So they are operating correctly other than the keys not working... what tool do i need to remove and where are the clips?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Theres two on each side of the door. One on top and the other at the bottom. Once you pry them out, you have to carefully pull the top section down or the bottom up to get it out. This is of course after you remove both handles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts